newby to WS-6-POE; no start up?

WirelessRudy

Re: newby to WS-6-POE; no start up?

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:57 pm

Ok, here's another one:

Playing with the ping watchdog; Have a device connected and powered up through port 6. Set a ping watchdog with a fake IP and applied. After a while unit was powered down but never came back up.

Now startup time (?) and Interval (time?) were all set to 300.
300 what? ms? secs? mins?

It seems seconds....
I changed settings to "30" and every half a minute it looks the unit now is powered down and back up. So the figures we speak about are secs?
Could be made a little bit more explanatory.
Special since the default is 300 therefore I have been thinking it didn't work.

For the "dummy" a small explanatory drop down menu with the right-hand mouse click could tell that after the #startup# delay time from switch's boot the chosen port attached device will be 'pinged' every set #interval# time (secs) and if the ping fails #Failures# consecutive times the port will be unpowered for #Unpower# seconds.

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Other 'manual' suggestions:

"LAG" stands for Link aggregation. But some vendors call it "bonding" (Mikrotik). At first I wasn't aware of the meaning "LAG". Only after thorough reading in the manual I realized it was the same as what we do with MT when we 'bond' 2 or more cables to get higher throughput and fail over. Maybe worth just mentioning it?

In the "ports" tab I find "FC", "MC", "Iso" and "DS" among other items that speak for themselves. But the mentioned 4 that can be ticked or unticked are not clear to me what they do. Can't find further info on your 'forum manual'.

Other question;
Port 2 only had the 24VH and 48VH PoE options whereas the other ports have the 24V and 48V option only. Now I can reason why this is done (matter of wiring etc.) but a warning should be printed on the box that port 2 is NOT TO BE USED to power non 24/48HV devices!
It will be very human to mix cables while in the field and attached the cable from a previous port 3-4-5-6 attached device to port 2 and power it up! Boom! Pirate4

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:17 pm

WirelessRudy wrote:Now startup time (?) and Interval (time?) were all set to 300.

It seems seconds....
Ja seconds seems the most plausible since have 300 minutes would make no sense and milliseconds are kind of short.

Still I understand that it would be nice to have documentation but this is very new company and the focus has been on hardware development.

I read somewhere (think it was a shithouse wall) that the paperwork always comes last.

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Last question (for now!); I am going to fit the unit and its going to power up 3 mikrotik devices with 24V PoE out.
These units are running and have clients using so I want to keep the downtime as low as possible.
But the control of the unit takes place at some 5 mins walk (including ladder up and down) just from the unit to my PC.
Normally I would just disconnect the live cables from consumers (I use a rb750UP device now) and swap the 'hot' cables from 'hot' ports to new 'hot' ports of the new device.

Now I understood that this is not the recommended way. Basically I should have all PoE-out disabled and just fit the box physically and power it up with its 'hot' 48VH gigabit shielded cable. Fly down the ladder, drop off a roof, run through a garden, open and close a gate, run the street, enter my premises, run upstairs, get to my PC, log into the switch (hope that works!) and enable the ports one by one..... pff.. meaning users are at least 5 mins without service. (If I'm not been overrun by a bus or so in the mean time.....)

Or can I just configure the unit to have all desired ports powered up and fit the unit, fit all the cables and just as last fit the cable with the feed in port 1? This would shorten the downtime to only a minute or so and no risk of buses...

And advice?

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm

lligetfa wrote:
WirelessRudy wrote:Now startup time (?) and Interval (time?) were all set to 300.

It seems seconds....
Ja seconds seems the most plausible since have 300 minutes would make no sense and milliseconds are kind of short.

Still I understand that it would be nice to have documentation but this is very new company and the focus has been on hardware development.

I read somewhere (think it was a shithouse wall) that the paperwork always comes last.
:lol: :lol:

No critics, just suggestions.... :cheers:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 pm

WirelessRudy wrote:Ok, here's another one:

Playing with the ping watchdog; Have a device connected and powered up through port 6. Set a ping watchdog with a fake IP and applied. After a while unit was powered down but never came back up.

Now startup time (?) and Interval (time?) were all set to 300.

It seems seconds....
I changed settings to "30" and every half a minute it looks the unit now is powered down and back up. So the figures we speak about are secs?
Could be made a little bit more explanatory.
Special since the default is 300 therefore I have been thinking it didn't work.

For the "dummy" a small explanatory drop down menu with the right-hand mouse click could tell that after the #startup# delay time from switch's boot the chosen port attached device will be 'pinged' every set #interval# time (secs) and if the ping fails #Failures# consecutive times the port will be unpowered for #Unpower# seconds.

We will have to investigate to determine if ping watchdog is broken or possibly you found a bug because you gave an IP that was not there so it never got a ping so the behavior is different than had it found one first then lost it, will get back to you.

Yes as Less said it is 300 seconds or 5 minutes.

Yes we need manuals but also as Less said this was meant to be a replacement to existing switches like the TS5 or TS8 so since we are very similar in the UI we assumed people would be familiar with it.

I agree we should have more MOUSE OVER balloons to say something like seconds, for now we are just assuming that people using the switches are fairly IT savvy as they are not geared towards consumer use but rather specialty switches for WISPs.

The LAG Tab does say aggregation on the tab when you click it and LACP is all over it which are standard terminologies as LACP is a "standard" for Link Aggregation

As Les explained we are a SMALL company just starting out and we do not have people to write a manual. When I started using UBNT gear in 2009 I do not think they had much in manuals and they were already doing $20 MILLION a year, we are not doing $2 MILLION a year "yet" so please bare with us.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi,
Well, I'm very active in the Mikrotik forum and a long time user of them. So I know all about missing proper manuals and when they finally come are outdated o new functionality still lacking. And now their Wiki, manual and forum is so big and extended that you already have to be an expert in their stuff just to find what you are looking for.......

Ubnt is doing much better in that respect, but ok, its also much more basic with less options.

Anyway, I am a Wisp, and like me there are probably thousands more. So you have a market here. Specially because there still are not a lot of reliable, manageable gigabit PoE switched out there yet. But don't expect everybody is a IT savvy just because they run a network. And to be honest, I have seen skilled IT techs with their hands in their hairs just because a manual is not telling half the story (seen it with a Juniper router...)

Why did Ubiquity became a much bigger success story than Mikrotik? Not because they were, or are, better. No, because their manuals were simple and understandable for any 'dummy' from day one. Together with their sales policy I think that is the base of their success.

So you guys enter the market with a very much wanted (well, we need battery operated PoE switches as well) small PoE switch that appeals to a lot of small operators that are not always having big power grid connected proffesional towers and that most probably never had used managable switches etc before. To reach that market segment a good manual really is a good tool.
So make some time for it, it will pay you guys back...

So all my comments to your benefits...

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:56 pm

sirhc wrote:please bare with us.

Are we gonna get nekkid? LOL
If I got nekkid you might not be able to bear it.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:58 pm

yes, we will work on manuals...and check out our website for the dc powered switches we have now!

Previous
Return to General Discussion