newby to WS-6-POE; no start up?

WirelessRudy

newby to WS-6-POE; no start up?

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:18 pm

Just purchased 2 x WS-6-POE switches and after reading the two pages with warnings and were to download new firmware and what not to do and to register on this forum connected one of the units to a ubiquity "Carrier PoE Adapter" ment to power up a airFiber. Just as the delivered sheet tells me that is a recommended way to power up the box..... well, nothing happens.

The adapter has power output, but the switch stays 'dead'.
Tried Cat5e, Cat6 shielded cable (prefab) but nothing. No leds, no 'zooming' no activity whatsoever.....

Ok, try to use the barrel connector. Maybe need to power it that way to get the GUI to proceed further. Found some 48V 0.9A PoE adapter, but the barrel is not the right size.. bugger.
Checked several other adapters in my store that deliver around 48V but none fit.

So how do I now boot the switch?

Together with a poor ('none') manual that actually excuses for the lack of 'manual' this is not a good start.....

I am an WISP operator for 12 years so I have seen and nailed issues. Its not I am a 'dummy' but this is definitely not a good start....

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: newby to WS-6-POE; no start up?

Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:30 pm

PM me your cell number and I would be happy to assist you.

Thanks,
Chris
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:21 pm

In reality if you plug the AF24 POE brink with a pre-made jumper into port 1 it should boot up in less than 20 seconds.

Some people confuse what jack is actually port 1 is because it will not accept POE IN on any other port except PORT 1

Looking at the switch front on with the decal on top.

------------------------------------
[1] [2] space [3] [4] [5] [6]
------------------------------------
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:17 am

I've been impatient. It actually took more than 30 secs but in the end it did boot. So, problem solved.

The ("A") manual should be included into the box telling first time user to connect it with the two given power options but if with PoE cable it should be done in port one and one has to wait at least 30 secs to see any activity on the port.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:53 am

Well, glad you managed to get it working.

Yes, sorry about the lack of details regarding hook up & start up info. We know we need to generate some user manuals, and it is on our list to do for sure.

Thanks.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:27 am

This is good to hear.

Since there is no real power LED (Tried to keep it small) the switch has to fully boot before it can turn on the RJ45 LED via software.

I guess I am bias as I always thought our switches booted FAST (in under 30 seconds) as I have found most other managed switches take well over 1 minute to boot, sometimes more than 2 minutes.

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:45 am

New question;

What do you guys actually mean in "PLEASE DO NOT COLD DEAD SHORT TEST THE POE" ??

It maybe US english but foreign english (like me) might not understand? To me (I am Dutch) it doesn't make a lot of sense.

What should I now NOT do?

Can I reboot ("hot" or "warm" reboot?) the unit from within the GUI with powered devices attached? Or do I power them down first?

Can I power cycle (power supply out and back in; "Cold" reboot) the unit while powered devices attached? Or do I make sure they are powered down first?

And what do you mean with the word "TEST"?

If you guys want to reach a broader
international
market you'd better make sure everybody that understands plain
English
can use the manual. I say "plain" since lots of jargon is used in networking world and not all are very skilled and
experienced

technicians

(I'm just a Captain of ships from origin but without any educations in the field build e 600+ clients network with routers, switches, access points, backhauls and clients units with MikroTik and Ubiquity stuff. Like me there are thousands more and your product line is very appareling to them but a very clearly written manual would avoid too many disappointments....)

WirelessRudy

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 am

sirhc wrote:This is good to hear.

Since there is no real power LED (Tried to keep it small) the switch has to fully boot before it can turn on the RJ45 LED via software.

I guess I am bias as I always thought our switches booted FAST (in under 30 seconds) as I have found most other managed switches take well over 1 minute to boot, sometimes more than 2 minutes.
Well, I wouldn't think a simple power led would make the box so complicated. It helps just to know the box gets power. Nowadays you hardly see any kind of electronic device without one....

And although less than 30 secs might not be long, if you are anxious to play with your new toy or just in a hurry, 20-30 secs seems a century and since we are all in a rush It gives some reassurance just to know the box gets power..... so put a led in the next versions I would say! :smile:

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:55 am

Well, Captain of Ships, thanks for your comments. They are helpful for sure!

We know we need to get some real user manuals, in different languages made. We are playing the game of catch up & it is on our schedule to do as soon as possible.

I will look into redesigning power indicator LED for you!..

Dave

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:03 pm

WirelessRudy wrote:
sirhc wrote:I guess I am bias as I always thought our switches booted FAST (in under 30 seconds)...
And although less than 30 secs might not be long, if you are anxious to play with your new toy or just in a hurry, 20-30 secs seems a century...

lt is the scourge of the time we live in. Road rage where the guy shoots the driver in front of him for not moving the second the light changes. I've given up scrambling to answer my phone cuz the caller hangs up after 3 rings and it takes me 4 rings to get to it.

{sight} I must be getting old... Lord give me patience, but HURRY!

Next
Return to General Discussion