MADE IN AMERICA WITH PRIDE!

Does MADE IN AMERICA really matter to you guys?

Yes it really does.
93%
No, i just want low cost.
7%

Total votes : 15
sirhc
Employee
Employee

MADE IN AMERICA WITH PRIDE!

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm

This is what I get to do tomorrow, this is a normal day's work for me on top of taking all your phone calls, over seeing assembly, ordering parts, designing new line of RF Armor stuff, the list goes on. Not enough hours in the day which is why I am just leaving now.

These switches are built and ready for testing.

Then I have 1 more batch of WS-24-400X for Friday.

Then Monday I start testing 1,000 WS-6-MINI, and after that 1,000 WS-12-250-AC.

We assign the MAC address and test each Ethernet port :working:

What you can not see in this picture is the other several hundred WS-24-400X units I already tested on the other bench to be boxed tomorrow.

Tommorows job.jpg
Tommorows job.jpg (254.56 KiB) Viewed 13940 times
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Re: MADE IN AMERICA WITH PRIDE!

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Nice. You are doing a great job, Chris! It's fun and exhausting!

I see a problem though! No DC switches!!!!??? How are you doing on them? What is the latest ETA?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:48 pm

They ate in production
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:00 pm

What do they like to eat? Bits?

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35 am

I love this. Definitely made in America pal. Keep doing your thing, and I'll keep buying them!

billbuchan

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Being brutal - because I'm not American - I don't mind where they are made.

However, what I do see here is a huge amount of quality. For which I am more than happy to pay the price. In other words, whilst I don't think your switches are cheap - £60 for a toughswitch and £130 for a wisp-6 - I don't think they are expensive. Because they *work*.

if you transfer manufacture and testing offshore, there will be the inevitable dip in quality - even for a short while.

I for one vote for you to continue doing exactly what you're doing - it's working. I can understand that it's killing you right now - excess hours, etc, - but it's part of the growing pains.

Being constructive - I can understand you want to shift more kit. Let the distributors sell the WISP-6 and the other devices - not just a handful of the range. That'll shift a whole bunch of inventory out.

(I'm not criticising that decision - I of course don't know all the facts behind it - so please take it as a piece of constructive advice which of course may be completely and utterly faulty - and you can of course ignore).

Of course, the other market - as well as the WISP market - is the CCTV market. Perhaps thats another growth opportunity.

---* Bill

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:33 pm

billbuchan wrote:Being brutal - because I'm not American - I don't mind where they are made.

However, what I do see here is a huge amount of quality. For which I am more than happy to pay the price. In other words, whilst I don't think your switches are cheap - £60 for a toughswitch and £130 for a wisp-6 - I don't think they are expensive. Because they *work*.
---* Bill

Bill, I am not sure why Distributors/Re-sellers are charging so much for our products over there?

You can buy a WS-6-MINI direct from us on our web store at £109.88.

Do not get me wrong I would prefer people buy from local distributors as international direct sales are not what we are aiming for but I am not sure why our Distributors are marking them up above MSRP?

Shipping on (1) WS-6-MINI is £19.09
Shipping on (4) WS-6-MINI is £30.20
Shipping on (8) WS-6-MINI is £40.25

We even accept payment in your local currency so it is easy to compare.

Now these prices do not include duties and taxes so keep this in mind.

Also I am guessing you are comparing our price to a ToughSwitch 5 and obviously we are not a TS5.

WS-6-MINI compare to a TS5

They come with a power brick we do not as we are expecting more people to use the switch as POE but we will soon offer a version that comes with a POE brick or you can purchase separately. That power brick would cost us around $3 quantity 10,000

We have 6 ports they have 5. This adds $10 to MSRP

We can power 24V, 48V, 24VH, & 48VH, they can only power what you feed it, either 24V or 48V no VH options. This adds $10 to MSRP

We have a much more expensive switch core, I can purchase the BCM53115 for around $5, our switch core cost $16 so say adds $15 to MSRP

We have current sensors, they do not. Current sensors add about $2 per port so $10 to MSRP

We have external temperature sensors, they do not. Temperature sensor adds about $1 to MSRP

Ours comes in a metal chassis, theirs is plastic. This adds $15 to MSRP

We offer FULL SNMP and a LOT more software features.

The fact that we manufacture in North America adds about 10% to the cost over say manufacturing in China so say adds $10 to MSRP

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:59 pm

sirhc wrote:...they can only power what you feed it, either 24V or 48V...
Don't want to derail this but want a sanity check. Can you really feed the TS5 48V and not have the smoke leak out?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:14 pm

lligetfa wrote:
sirhc wrote:...they can only power what you feed it, either 24V or 48V...
Don't want to derail this but want a sanity check. Can you really feed the TS5 48V and not have the smoke leak out?

No, no, that is a good question, I "think" you can, I am pretty sure people did this?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:50 pm

I have a vivid recollection of a thread on UBNT where Dave-D went head-to-head with Ingineer (Phil) on the topic of max V-in. OK... found it, max V-in is 30V.

http://community.ubnt.com/t5/ToughSwitc ... 4979#M3713

Next
Return to General Discussion