WS-6-MINI Power Options

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: WS-6-MINI Power Options

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:57 am

No, you need to have one that supplies power over ALL 8 wires.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:47 am

Les is correct, you need a POE adapter that has power on all 8 wires like a POE adapter for and airFIBER 24, airFIBER 5

You also want an adapter that is more that 1 Amp if you plan to power any thing.

Assume the switch may want up to 10+ watts just for the switch itself
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

yoder

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:33 am

Yeah, after I posted that link I kind of figured that was the answer. We need to get a barrel connector on this switch then. We had forgotten to take one with us the day we installed it. I'm pretty sure the 48V power supply we have is 3A.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:21 am

We do now sale a 1.3A Barrel Adapter, we are hoping to sell just an adapter as well soon.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:40 pm

So if I only wanted to use them as remote switches, and not power anything from them, would it be OK to power them off of a non-VH port on the 250-12-DC? I'm interested in using them as "remote demarcs" inside MDUs but there aren't enough VH ports to do that.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:57 pm

petecarlson wrote:So if I only wanted to use them as remote switches, and not power anything from them, would it be OK to power them off of a non-VH port on the 250-12-DC? I'm interested in using them as "remote demarcs" inside MDUs but there aren't enough VH ports to do that.

Yes

abjornson

Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:23 pm

@sirhc It seems like the 48VH / 8 wire PoE injector from Netonix mentioned above is not out yet.

If I already have netonix PA-50V-65W AC power supplies for my switches, is there an inexpensive 8 wire PoE injector I can pair with the AC power supply to provide 48VH to my WS-6-MINI? Or is my best / cheapest bet to just buy AirFiber PoE injectors?
Thanks much!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:07 am

abjornson

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks!

I definitely understand the standard used better now - and I see i could use a Mimosa brick as well as an AirFiber brick.

I guess I was hoping to find a small / cheap / dumb PoE injector (like the common y-style PoE injectors i see for $6-$8) that I could plug the barrel output from my netonix PA-50V-65W into to inject 8 wire / 48VH / 802.3af/at PoE for my WS-6-MINI. I didn't see anything like that in the thread so I guess no one has found anything?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:40 am

That is interesting you brought that up, "Yes" if you powering the WS-6-MINI with POE "IN" on port 1 you can also use the barrel connector as a source of power to power another device that is no to heavy of a load as you are limited by the capacity of whatever is powering the WS6 via POE on port 1.

But say you are powering the WS6 with one of our switches that gives you 50V @ 1.5A or 150 watts you have a large enough power/watts budget to use the barrel connector jack as a 50V out to power another device. We plan to eventually sale just the barrel connector with like a 1 meter wire for this purpose or to power the WS6 say from another power source.

We do also plan to sale a POE adapter but for now you can use the UBNT AF24 or AF5 50V 1.2A or the MIMOSA adapter. They are not $6 because they are higher power and they use a 4 channel Center Tap POE rated (Ethernet) Transformer which are not cheap. The older 24V POE adapters for say Legacy airMAX radios using pairs 3 & 4 to deliver power are less expensive because they do not require Transformers and of course the power supply is much smaller.

I can not get the POE adapter UBNT uses for the AF24 for $6, I think it cost me more like $12 plus shipping in quantity 10,000 from the manufacturer in China.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion