TX Limit a VLAN

ewolff06

TX Limit a VLAN

Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:20 pm

We use VLANs to issue public blocks to customers. EG: Ill tag a radio as VLAN 1234 which correlates to a specific public /30 for the customer. Some radios we deploy like the AF-60 LR don't have the ability to rate limit in the radio because they are designed more for backhaul than as a customer radio. In the instance where I do need to rate limit a dedicated PTP for a customer, I just set the TX and RX limits on the QoS tab and it works great.

I'm starting to play with the new-ish UBNT Wave APs which are 60 gig PTMP and the Subscriber Modules do not have the ability to rate limit. I've been looking around in the UI of the switch but I don't see a way to rate limit a specific VLAN. Since this is PTMP there would be multiple customers with various contracted speeds coming into a single port on the switch so limiting the entire port isn't really feasible.

I could set up rate limiting per VLAN in my core router which I have done before but I don't like doing this because the excess traffic is able to traverse my entire network and potentially bog down my backhauls so I'd rather limit the traffic as close to the customer as possible. Since I can't do it at the radio, the tower switch would be the next closest place to do this.

Any thoughts on this?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: TX Limit a VLAN

Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:33 am

At this time no. I would have to go read the papers on the switch core and see if the policers can use VLAN to identify the traffic. But the other issue would be how many policers that core can handle I don't remember.

Odd why UBNT did not put that in the radio as before as it is built into Linux you might ask but the reason I would guess is that to do that the traffic would have to be funneled through the small imbedded CPU which simply could not handle that much traffic so they simply bridge the wireless and ethernet interface direct bypassing the small CPU limitation.

I will put it on the back burner as just recently we are able to produce enough units to get the software people back and up and running. See this post
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ewolff06

Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:45 pm

It could be that it hasn't been added yet. I've noticed with some of their newer products that it takes awhile for features to get added. For a long time the AF-60 LR didn't support SNMP. I'll open a UI feature request as that is something that should be baked into a PTMP product.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:10 pm

I would guess is that to do that the traffic would have to be funneled through the small imbedded CPU which simply could not handle that much traffic so they simply bridge the wireless and ethernet interface direct bypassing the small CPU limitation.

I would bet this is the cause and if so they can not?

The only way they could is if the radio or chip has hardware policers or a limit function built in, could not do it via software due to the CPU limitation. But since the 60 GHz PTP has been out so long and this issue was brought up on their board well over a year ago I would guess they can't???
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion