Speed display on Netonix switches

wtm
Experienced Member

Speed display on Netonix switches

Tue May 09, 2023 6:04 pm

Was wondering what is actually measured on the "speed display" on the Netonix, when you do NOT select a port?

One of my techs keeps stating that it is a indication of a "Loop" inside the unit? As it does not seem to add up to the total of some of the ports when those are selected and totaled?

I don't think that is a problem, but I told them I would ask !

KBrownConsulting

Re: Speed display on Netonix switches

Tue May 09, 2023 8:19 pm

When you say "speed display" I'm assuming you're referring to the values just above the Save/Apply button at the top right & the graph at the bottom? They both track the same thing when no ports are selected and specifically say "Total Throughput" which IMHO should be the aggregate throughput of ALL ports on the switch combined. (Not "some" ports which is what you said. You also didn't mention if you believe the "Total Throughput" is lower or higher than the aggregate of all ports combined.)

I did a quick test on a WS-6-MINI I have where only 2 ports are currently in use and if I set the bottom graph history period to 1hr and check the average throughput of those ports individually against the "Total Throughput" when no ports are selected it adds up properly... Which further suggests to me "Total Throughput" is indeed the total aggregate throughput of all ports combined.

I'm also curious what internal "loop" your tech thinks is being monitored that would represent "Total Throughput" better than an aggregate of all the ports? Maybe some metric on the internal switch fabric itself as opposed to an aggregate of each individual port? Still, that should equate to basically the same thing.

wtm
Experienced Member

Re: Speed display on Netonix switches

Wed May 10, 2023 10:50 am

I always assumed that it was just the total of everything, when nothing was checked. THe other tech feels that this shows that there is some sort of "Loop" in the switch that is creating the bandwidth, as he doesn't always get the total if he adds it up. I'm not worried about it, but wanted to see if anyone could give a "Expert" explanation for what the readings actually are ! Thank you.

Return to General Discussion