WS6 Mini Pop

adairw
Associate
Associate

WS6 Mini Pop

Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:45 am

Been meaning to post this for awhile. Here is our first mini pop done up with a WS6 and the tycon enclosure. I REALLY like this.
way to go guys!
wspop.PNG
wspop.PNG (695.61 KiB) Viewed 12541 times

WSminipop.PNG
WSminipop.PNG (900.12 KiB) Viewed 12541 times

We used double sided sticky tape to hold the switch in the box
WSboxAMW.PNG
WSboxAMW.PNG (788.66 KiB) Viewed 12541 times

wspopmounting.PNG
wspopmounting.PNG (820.56 KiB) Viewed 12541 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS6 Mini Pop

Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:50 am

Looks nice Adair. :thumbsup:

I would really like to see you guys screwing/bolting these MINI units to the Tycon Power box instead of Velcro.

If you take a WS-6-MINI apart you will see that it has a BIG thermal pad that connects the PCB to the metal chassis making the chassis the heat sink.

The metal chassis should be flat against the plastic wall to help transfer heat to the outside.

If you pre-drill holes though the plastic chassis then use long stainless steel pan head screws you can put a dab of silicon under the screw head on the outside then use two small washers and hex nuts on the inside to hold the switch in place tight against the box inside wall. (Make the box up ahead of time at your shop to allow silicon to dry)

Velcro is not so good as it will not allow heat to transfer outside the box and when it gets hot it will peel away and the switch will fall inside the box and possibly cause cables to come un-plugged.

I will see about putting some pictures up this weekend on how I would like to see you guys deploy them.

Adair have you ever tried our shield kits? A NanoBeam and NanoStation kit would be nice there too.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:57 am

Chris,
Thanks for the tips. Don't really like drilling holes in boxes like that. But I understand you concern. We used double sided outdoor rated sticky tape (it's bad ass) so I don't think it will come lose... if it does I guess we learned our lesson. :)

Yes, we use your shield kits on almost everything.
In this case it's a NBM5 connected to a DFS sector. (no nanobeam/powerbeam) and the nanostation is on 2.4Ghz so I wasn't really to worried about interference.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:52 am

adairw wrote:Chris,
Don't really like drilling holes in boxes like that.

If you drill it slightly undersize, when you drive the screw in with a drill/driver, the heat from friction should soften the plastic just enough to form a seal.

Anything I have ever stuck up with double-sided tape eventually let go so I must be using the wrong stuff. Mostly just use it to hold in awkward places until I can get a screw in. I've never heard of outdoor rated stick tape. Got a brand?

I suppose it should transfer heat better than peel'n'stick Velcro.

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Adair - In applications like this we've been using the MT750UP units in the Tycon boxes. They have worked well and enabled us to feed the homeowner service behind a routed port on the MT 750UP, keeping the client routed similar to how we setup the UBNT cpe devices.

For temp related reasons and robustness, it would be a nice application for the mini.

How are you setting up the homeowner here with a feed from the switch and keeping them routed? Assuming you are keeping them routed somehow...

rkelly1
Experienced Member

Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:47 pm

And what j-mounts are you using dude? Those are nice and long. I need some!

adairw
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:09 am

rkelly1 wrote:Adair - In applications like this we've been using the MT750UP units in the Tycon boxes. They have worked well and enabled us to feed the homeowner service behind a routed port on the MT 750UP, keeping the client routed similar to how we setup the UBNT cpe devices.

For temp related reasons and robustness, it would be a nice application for the mini.

How are you setting up the homeowner here with a feed from the switch and keeping them routed? Assuming you are keeping them routed somehow...

We run powercode and do dhcp with mac auth. typical cpe is in router mode so we use mac of the cpe WLAN0.
For the few sites we have where we also feed a customer directly, we just gather the mac address of their router (can look it up in the switch to update their account in powercode should they ever change it without telling us first)

adairw
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:11 am

rkelly1 wrote:And what j-mounts are you using dude? Those are nice and long. I need some!

We only buy the UM and the UML mounts from streakwave.
http://streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=UM&eq=&Tp=&o1=0

http://streakwave.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=UML&eq=&Tp=&o1=0

They are super heavy duty and way more sturdy than most of the other J-Mounts on the market. We pay around $9/ea for the 18"

WisTech
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:27 pm

Great setup Adair! We'll have a similar setup we're going to use omni's on (yes, I need 360º short range coverage) where the area will have a dozen or so micro-pops because of heavy foliage.

Return to General Discussion