Power Supply Board Rev: Error

Solideco

Power Supply Board Rev: Error

Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:24 pm

Hello,

We have a WS-12-250-DC that is reporting Power Supply errors on the Status page:

Code: Select all

MAC Address ec:13:b2:xx:xx:xx
IP Address 10.1.0.5
Firmware Version 1.5.5
Board Rev F
Power Supply Firmware Version Error
Power Supply Board Rev Error

There is nothing in the log file that indicates a problem. The switch was rebooted 12+ days ago and came up fine, by which I mean all connected devices are operating normally. (I have no idea when the error messages first appeared.)

The switch was installed 4+ years ago and was upgraded to version 1.5.5. It's been stable since so never bothered to upgrade to a newer version.

I only discovered the error message because the switch crashed last evening when I tried to add a vlan. Needed a reboot to get it back. (To be clear, I only added the VLAN and had not assigned it to any ports when I hit Save. And I must admit I was truly shocked when this happened.) After rebooting, the switch came up fine but without the new VLAN. I'm now scared to try again, much less upgrade to the latest firmware version.

Ideas, thoughts?

Thanks
Mark

Solideco

Re: Power Supply Board Rev: Error

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:17 pm

Hello, anybody out there? Can someone from Netonix comment?

Macabee

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:32 pm

Hello,
It sounds like a loose i2c cable or a bad flash. Pull the lid off and make sure that all cables are plugged in all the way. If that doesn't fix your problem, you will most likely have to RMA the switch and send it to me so I can flash the switch and reprogram it. Most likely will be covered under warranty.

Solideco

Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:50 pm

Thanks!

To be safe I'm going to swap it out for a new unit. Once I have it one the bench I will take a closer look.

Solideco

Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:55 am

This morning I replaced the switch with a new unit and then put the original unit on the bench once back to the office.

The switch booted fine and no longer displayed the Power Supply errors shown in the initial post.

I then upgraded the switch to 1.5.14. The current status readings are:
Power Supply Firmware Version 70
Power Supply Board Rev B

At this point I'd say the switch is provisionally OK, but not sure I trust it and I doubt I will redeploy it in a mission critical role.

Any thoughts as to why the Power Supply status readings were previously reporting "Error"?

Thanks
Mark

thomas

Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:18 am

I would put money on it being a loose cable. if it were something board related you'd be getting errors for current sensing as well.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:01 am

thomas wrote:I would put money on it being a loose cable...

That or a cold solder joint. Jostling the switch temporarily improved the connection.

Return to General Discussion