WS-6-Mini as a POE Splitter

ntaylor1

WS-6-Mini as a POE Splitter

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to investigate if I can use the WS-6-Mini in a sort of unusual way; basically as a POE splitter.

Here is my idea:
1. Use one of the larger Netonix switches (like the WS-8-150-AC) to power the WS-6-Mini via 48VH POE power to port 1 on the Mini
2. connect devices to the other network ports (and possibly supply POE) to local devices
3. simultaneously draw power from the barrel jack on the back of the Mini to power local devices

I am guessing that the first question people will ask is why would I do this. Well...
1. Simplicity, if the WS-6-Mini can separate network and power why should I buy an additional POE splitter device
2. Reliability, fewer devices mean fewer point of failure. Plus we have lots of experience with the Netonix hardware, and we know it is really reliable (we also have sources for reliable POE splitters, but we like the Netonix hardware better)
3. More features. Since Netonix is a managed switch we have better control of the network and the ability to use it to troubleshoot problems
4. Most importantly, we are very limited on space. There just isn't enough space in our system to add additional POE Splitters. We are using this with some other custom hardware in some tight spaces not a typical enclosure so we just don't have additional room

Some notes.
the 48-52v used in POE is fine for our system as we already have wide range voltage regulators and power filters

So, do you all think this would work? Anybody have any other ideas or solutions? Has anybody used the WS-6-mini in this way?

I look forward to your help.

Thanks
-Nick

KBrownConsulting

Re: WS-6-Mini as a POE Splitter

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:16 pm

Most importantly: Do NOT power the WS-6-MINI by both PoE input on Port 1 and the barrel connector! It does not mention this in the text description of the product page (it should!), but you'll notice it does warn against this in red in the second picture on the WS-6-MINI product page!

You can definitely use the WS-6-MINI as a PoE splitter though. I've done it. Simply leave the barrel connector out of the equation and make sure the other 5 devices connected to the WS-6-MINI don't exceed the wattage capacity on the WS-8-150-AC port being used to power the WS-6-MINI.

Return to General Discussion