Error Counters

Mola9850

Error Counters

Sun May 31, 2015 9:28 am

Hello everyone
Have a little problem I have 2 netonix switch paired with a lan cable, but get some error from the ports where the lan cable is plugged in, what am I doing wrong or miss ?? some ideas
Attachments
Skærmbillede 2015-05-28 18.49.17.png
Skærmbillede 2015-05-28 18.49.17.png (218.11 KiB) Viewed 23042 times
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.15.png
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.15.png (231.02 KiB) Viewed 23042 times
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.27.png
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.27.png (156.59 KiB) Viewed 23042 times
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.45.png
Skærmbillede 2015-05-31 09.31.45.png (158.99 KiB) Viewed 23042 times
Med venlig hilsen / Yours sincerely

Morten Lauritsen
Salg & Service

D: +45 9393 7040
M: [url=mailto:Morten@wified.dk]Morten@wified.dk[/url]

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Error Counters

Sun May 31, 2015 9:54 am

Those Rx Filters are fine, all switches report them but if you notice they are not really considered an error as they are not reported on the main Status Tab as an error on that port like say a CRC error.

You can Google Rx Filter errors and get an idea as to why they are there.

You will normally see these but they are nothing to be concerned with, your going to see them on any active port of a switch with a decent amount of traffic. When a packet/frame hits a forwarder and it does not no what to do with the packet it can be forwarded to all ports then when it gets to a port that does not know what to do with it the packet is filtered. You can hook up wire shark and attempt to track it down but they just happen sometimes.

The number of received frames filtered by the forwarding process.
1 Short frames are frames that are smaller than 64 bytes.
2 Long frames are frames that are longer than the configured maximum frame length for this port.

Experiment, clear your stats and Disable all other ports except the one you are plugged into then turn on 1 at a time watching the Rx Filters. You might find a port that seems to cause them or at least more then you can track down a device on that port that may be the source but in my experience they just occur and unless they exceed more then 1% of total switched packets I just ignore them.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun May 31, 2015 10:41 am

As far as the Tx Drops you do not have Storm Control enabled do you?

Can you provide a network diagram as to where this switch is located in your network and where the nearest router is and what type of router.

Also ALWAYS report what firmware version is in play.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun May 31, 2015 10:56 am

Also you have 1,020,834,040 Tx packets with 797 Tx Drops or .0000008%Tx packet Drops

That is a VERY LOW percentage that seems to occur at rare events maybe when wireless links get saturated or stuck on a bad customer or momentary interference maybe backing up to this port?

Could have been a small blip where something had a saturated link and couldn't handle and dropped some briefly.

Tx Drops "could" be caused by flow control/stp/duplex or speed mismatch. Typically with a duplex/speed mismatch you would also see high collisions which are not there.

This could be the transmit buffer is full, many sources are trying to get out this interface, and frames are backing up in the queue and eventually dropped as pause frames are not being able to be sent all the way back to a routed source that supports Flow Control.

Mola9850

Sun May 31, 2015 1:19 pm

thank :hurray:
fast and useful answer. :cheers:
all my switch running 1.2.2.
Storm Control is still as when I got the switch from you. :wink:
Attachments
Netværk.png
Netværk.png (26.93 KiB) Viewed 23026 times

Morten Lauritsen
Salg & Service

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun May 31, 2015 1:47 pm

OK I have a few questions:

You run a flat network I see/think is this correct?
(I hate FLAT networks but that is no help here)

Watchguard is your router?

In your original post you show 2 WISP Switches a WS-8 and WS-12 connected together but on your diagram you say switch as in singular is here?

You also say your fiber comes in HERE and you say that at 2 locations?

mola.jpg
mola.jpg (115.27 KiB) Viewed 23024 times

Mola9850

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:02 pm

Hello
Yes we run with a flat network, WatchGuard is our firewall and router.
the oreage line is the fiber input, it was just to show that our firewall is not straight in our network, so the blue circle is where we buy the fiber from. :smile:
And the orange circle is where the two switches are, my plan is that next time I order switch home I buy a WS-24-400A so there is only one switch.
Attachments
mola.jpg
mola.jpg (121.54 KiB) Viewed 23002 times

Morten Lauritsen
Salg & Service

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:36 pm

As I said I would NOT worry about those Rx Filtered packets, they happen all the time and are not really considered an error unless they are VERY high count.

I would also guess that the Tx Drops are from buffers being over run as you do not have Flow Control all the way back to the router. Also you have everything bottlenecking across one port between the switches. You might try creating an LACP LAG between the 2 switches which will spread those Pause Frames out across 2 ports.
You can see where I talk about why I use LAGs in this POST. By creating a STATIC LAG between the Router and the Switch that carries all my AP VLANs I am splitting the inevitable Pause Frames across 2 interfaces.

Also I am assuming your Router is in the blue circle and you just have a Fiber pair coming to the WS-12-250A switch with a Media Converter on port 12? Why not use a Fiber SFP module in port 13 or port 14 because I am not sure how that media converter will handle pause frames rather it will pass them through or not?

Remember you want Flow Control all the way back to a router that support Flow Control so that the router can better deal with congestion on your network on the streams rather than just the physical port paused 50 microseconds.

I would seriously suggest moving towards a routed network by putting a router one hop out then the next and so on until your routed.

But the number of Tx Drops you had as very very small, like .000007%

There is nothing wrong with the switches or firmware though causing those Drops from what I see.

Mola9850

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:46 am

Yes the blue one is my router. i will just order a WS-24-400A from you :).

Have another problem you might help me whit :?:
After i have elevated my panel så i got the best signal for the group of clients in on some of my mast, I can only get approximately 40/20 Mbps on the panel even though the units are very nicely set, do you think i over shooting my customers nu?? the panel stands to -1.5 upwards and the panel is in 35 meter.

Here are two screenshots to 2 AP which run the same speed and there is no noise at freq.
Attachments
2.png
AP 1
2.png (131.23 KiB) Viewed 22970 times
1.png
AP 2
1.png (112.36 KiB) Viewed 22970 times

Morten Lauritsen
Salg & Service