uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISM

Groong

uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISM

Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:38 pm

I had to put in a new switch (which went well!). Same WISP Switch WS-12-250-DC. I loaded the most current firmware. Put it in, had a problem logging into it from Chrome but was able to do so from Edge. That was when I was directly plugged in. Now I'm in my office, connected via an 11FX link to a USG-XG router, some UniFi switches, and internet connection is good. However, when trying to log into the switch from here, I get this error: <router address>
uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

I tried typing in the address without the s, http://###.###.##.### and get the error above. When I try using https:// I get nothing.

The switch is up on a mountain top...would love not to have to go back up....any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: uses an unsupported protocol. ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_

Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:47 pm

What firmware version?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Groong

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:18 pm

Either wispswitch-1.5.9rc1 or wispswitch3-2.0.7.ws3....But I think there was a problem with the 2.0.7 so I had to use the other. Obviously, can't check right now unless I can SSH into it and look for the version?

Groong

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Just in case, I tried other browsers: FireFox, Edge, Brave, Chrome, Opera.

Latest message trying from Opera:

192.168.xx.xxx uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

Dave
Employee
Employee

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:46 pm

please use v1.5.11 to fix TLS issue

Groong

Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:48 pm

Ok. It did work using Internet Explorer. Looks like others were having the same issue on my search. I best do that while on site though...in case things go sideways. All my connections and power will turn off when I upgrade the firmware?

Luckily IE worked...how else would I be able to update the firmware if it didn't? SSH?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:24 am

Groong wrote:Ok. It did work using Internet Explorer. Looks like others were having the same issue on my search. I best do that while on site though...in case things go sideways. All my connections and power will turn off when I upgrade the firmware?

Luckily IE worked...how else would I be able to update the firmware if it didn't? SSH?

Well next time please check latest firmware version available before saying your on the latest version as v1.5.9 is not v1.5.11

Read the release notes on what the version fixes and you would see TLS issue in the notes.

DO a search on TLS in the forums search box and you will find several work arounds provided by users and me.

In reality most if not all browsers have a way to manually configure them to accept less than TLS v1.2 but you have to manually configure it.

The TLS issue we should have updated it awhile ago but on several of the threads I admit this and apologize but once we were caught with our pants down we dropped everything and release an upgrade as fast as possible within our specified timeframe. That's not a pat on the back as it should never have happened.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Groong

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:40 pm

"Well next time please check latest firmware version available before saying your on the latest version as v1.5.9 is not v1.5.11"

Ummm...yeah, couldn't do that without being able to log into it. Sure, I could of looked at the notes before posting but when your whole wisp site goes down, and you finally get a fix in place, energy is a bit low. I take on that accountability.

And yes, that's when I started checking the threads and found the work around posted by another use. I don't use this forum often, it's a little different to navigate vs the way Ubiquiti has theirs set up. Easier to find things on theirs to be honest. Especially with firmware release and notes attached to each.

I do appreciate the immediate response from you though! (actual employee!) That takes much longer with Ubiquiti.

I think you both can learn from one another in terms of a community forum.

Thanks again,
Phil

kennaster

Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Hey,
Thanks for posting this. I noticed the same thing this weekend after an unrelated firewall update at the University (I'm on 1.5.2). I was able to use SSH and Firefox as the work-around. I'm also on an older firmware, so good to know there is a solution here.

bcw

Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:21 am

Hello,
I realise this is an old thread, but we are encountering the same issues as described above.
Using my Windows 11 system I have been unable to connect via either ssh or http(s) to the system. I tried Microsoft Edge, FireFox and Chrome.
I did manage to connect using Internet Explorer (vs 11) on an old Windows 7 system, but the pages did not appear to be performing correctly. The status pages displayed OK, but the values for time, CPU usage, version etc were blank.
Any suggestion how I can access to the system?
Thanks!

Next
Return to General Discussion