WS3 48 V 52V power supply

bajaconnect

WS3 48 V 52V power supply

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:05 pm

Hi

I have a site with 48 V 52V power supply. I need SFP+, I have a WS3. I was quite willing to not use the smart DC side but its seams after testing the WS3 with a 48 V 52V power supply it will not even power on.
I'm aware that there is a remark on the purchase page stating to use a WS-26-DC, but it does not have SFP+.

So even though the WS3 has a DC power range of 9-72V DC, it will not power with a straight 48 V 52V power supply?
Just want to see if this is a solid fact or is there a work around.

Not wanting to ruffle anyones feathers here.. I know working against the grain is frowned upon..

Any assistance welcome

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: WS3 48 V 52V power supply

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:01 pm

It "should" power up with a DC power supply.

1) Must have sufficient amps, so for full use it would be 600W/48V = 12.5A but then add some headroom for in rush.

2) If it was hooked up backwards even for a second it now has a fried power supply - RMA time for repair
The damage to the power supply from hooking it up backwards is very distinctive when we look at the power supply.

3. If you did not hook it up backwards and it does not power up then RMA it, however we fully test each unit manually here so the odds of one coming to you DOA is very small, but not impossible, we have seen on rare occasions a component had a cold solder and came lose in shipment but usually it is rattling around in the chassis.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

bajaconnect

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:14 pm

Hi

Good to know my thinking on this is good re-powerup. 100% no backwards hookup.
At bit more info, my power supplies are Edgepower 150Watts. so 53-54V DC, so a volt or two up from the title voltage. what i see when i add a multi meter to the DC terminal of the WS3 is fluctuating voltage, 3V, 10V, 33, 15V. etc, It never seams to stabilize at 53-54V. FYI, i can power the switches direct from a battery with no issues as expected.
When i remove the switch and just test the edgepower the voltage is stable at 53-54V.
This should work with edgepower? I have other sites with WS-26-DCs using edgepower, worked for years with this setup!

Greatly appreciate your reply.

Any further assistance very welcome

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 pm

150 watt power supply source will more than likely not be able to power up the ws3 dc model, it requires more inrush current.

Return to General Discussion