Wisp Switch Operating Temperature

rcosby

Wisp Switch Operating Temperature

Tue May 19, 2015 1:46 pm

If I read the specs correctly the WISP Switches have an operating temperature up to 55c. What happens if we go higher than that? On some mikrotiks the units would shut down if the temperature was reached, and could only be reset by a power cycle.

We get pretty hot here, but we're trying to get these in enclosures with fans, etc. The margin of error may be tight on some.

Thanks,

Randy

rcosby

Re: Wisp Switch Operating Temperature

Fri May 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Ping? Anyone?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri May 29, 2015 5:41 pm

More than likely the first thing that would happen is the Poly Fuses will trip especially 48VH ports on airFiber units.

In your HOTTEST boxes I would make sure you get our latest RevD units which are what is shipping now.

You can tell what version of the board you have under the Device/Status Tab.

This is primarily with the WS-12-250A & B and WS-24-400A & B.

The Rev D boards have higher temperature Poly Fuses.

The switches are rated to run at 55C but then when you then load them UP fully like powering 3 or 4 airFIBER units with the A model boards the Poly Fuses can trip when it gets real hot.

If you have vented boxes with fans you should be OK, especially if they are shaded or at least painted white.

If you have a sealed dark color box in direct sunlight your crazy.

If you have boxes in direct sunlight I hope they are painted white and have vents and fans.

Look guys Global Warming is REAL, it is only going to get hotter and hotter each year so you better start putting in vents, fans, and painting them white. Sun shades are nice where you can put one over your box.

Just because they are rated to run at that temperature does not mean you want to do it all the time. My truck does not red line until 8,000 RPMs but I do not keep it there everyday.

If you run them HOT all the time they will fail sooner, it is just how it is with all electronics.

VENT YOUR BOXES - PUT IN FANS - MAKE IT A PRIORITY!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Sun May 31, 2015 12:42 am

I have recommended to people for a long time, a little bit of glossy white paint can buy you 5-10° even (surprisingly) over shiny unpainted aluminum in direct sunlight, on a dry, blue sky, summer day.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Sun May 31, 2015 8:26 am

Joe

Thanks for the white paint reminder, wish everyone would do that for sure, makes a big, easy to do difference.

Dave

Return to General Discussion