Environment/Switch Temperatures

arcee

Environment/Switch Temperatures

Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:12 am

I feel my switch is operating in... higher than usual temperatures and I want to get some perspective from the Netonix Team/Forum users on this; a bit concerned about my switch's life expectancy at this point. I tried to post an image here but the forum seems very restrictive on image sizes.

The temperature range within my rack swings from 89F up to 98F. I daily average peak is 97F.

Switch Board Temp Ranges: 42C - 47C
Switch CPU Temp Ranges: 43C - 48C
Switch PHY Ports (1-12): 43C - 49C
Switch PHY Ports (13-24): 60C - 64C

The fans are obviously on 24/7 with these temperatures. Fan 1 has an Error. I am not sure if this was always the case or this model does not have a fan in this slot? Maybe someone can shed some light here.

Again, my concern is about the life expectancy given these conditions; should I be overly concerned here?

sakita
Experienced Member

Re: Environment/Switch Temperatures

Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:29 am

Which model do you have?

We have over 100 Netonix switches (mostly WS-12-250-AC) operating in streetside cabinets in the Arizona desert. Some of these have been out there for a few years. Cabinet temps can get to over 140° F.

Very few problems really. So far we've replaced a handful of fans - which is easy to do and the parts were ordered from Netonix.

The temps you listed: board, CPU, and PHY are going to be higher than ambient and I wouldn't be concerned at all with the values you listed.
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Return to General Discussion