Aggregating 2 Airfiber via Spanning Tree

mhaut@level421.com

Aggregating 2 Airfiber via Spanning Tree

Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:36 am

I would like to ask the community for recommendation to the following problem:

I am using since a while Netonix Switch provided Spanning Tree STP to aggregate 2x Airfiber 24 links. This works fine, as Airfiber 24 has a separate ethernet interface configureable for management purpose.

Now with Airfiber 60 LR coming out, I am having the issue, that this new device only has one interface for Traffic and Management.
Any suggestions, how to nevertheless be able to manage the Airfiber 60 LR within a spanning tree capsulated port ?

Mark Brandis

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Aggregating 2 Airfiber via Spanning Tree

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:34 am

STP don't aggregate traffic, it use one link as backup. LAG would be a better choice for L2 aggregation.

If backup is fine, MSTP is a vlans aware STP that allow to block a group of vlans instead of the whole port. MSTP also allow to primary pass some vlans on a link and some other on the other link to use both at the same time but it won't load balance like LAG. MSTP is still a beta feature so better tests in lab first.

mhaut@level421.com

Re: Aggregating 2 Airfiber via Spanning Tree

Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 am

Dear Mike,

you are of course right. Running Spanning Tree in top of LAG would result in Layer 2 Aggregation. That seems not to be possible any more with the new Airfiber 60, 60 HD or 60 LR, as we loose contact inside the LAG havingg only one interface we can use for traffic and management.

I am not familiar with MSTP. Is there somewhere a configuration example, so I can break my head over it ?

Ideally I need to load balance traffic, which so far worked fine in combination with Airfiber 24 or Airfiber 5x.

Mark

Return to General Discussion