Port "Pairing"?

JRayfield

Port "Pairing"?

Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:21 pm

I'd like to use a Netonix switch to feed several Mimosa backhaul radios. But, I want to use a MikroTik router/switch to connect to each Mimosa radio.

Is it possible to 'pair' two ports on a Netonix switch, so that this 'pair' of ports are not connected to the other 'pairs' of ports on the same switch?

In other words, I want to connect port 2 of a Mikrotik router/switch to port 1 of a Netonix switch and port 2 of the Netonix switch to a Mimosa B5c radio.
And I want to connect port 3 of a MikroTik router/switch to port 3 of a Netonix switch and port 4 of the Netonix switch to another Mimosa B5c radio.

This way, the MikroTik router/switch acts as the real 'switch' in this system, with all of the MikroTik diagnostics available, but the Netonix switch acts as the POE/power supply for several Mimosa radios.

I've had some trouble with the ethernet ports 'flapping' between the MikroTik routers/switches and the Mimosa radios, with the Mimosa radios being powered by the POEs that come with them. And I've heard that this problem is reduced or eliminated with powering Mimosa radios with Netonix switches. It sounds like the ethernet switch circuits in the Netonix switches are more compatible with both MikroTik and Mimosa, than MikroTik with Mimosa. But I want to retain the 'control' of the network with the MikroTik routers/switches.

Does this sound possible?

John Rayfield, Jr.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: Port "Pairing"?

Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:22 am

This is possible using VLANs but somewhat complicated by spanning tree. I think Chris does this sort of midspan PoE. Chris and/or Mike can better explain it.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Port "Pairing"?

Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:38 am

I would use QinQ between each port that you want to bind, something like

vlan 101, Q on port 1 and 2
vlan 102, Q on port 3 and 4
vlan 103, Q on port 5 and 6
etc.

Mikrotik on port 1, 3 and 5, radio on port 2, 4 and 6. You will be able to use vlan or whatever you like seamlessly.
Edit: I would also disable STP just in case. It's useless in this scenario.

Return to General Discussion