Simple VLAN - what am I doing wrong

tdereggi

Simple VLAN - what am I doing wrong

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 pm

First, Im very Fluent with VLANs and using them on a vast amount of equipment types. Just first time with Netonix.
I have a simple VLAN config that I often do with other equip, that isnt working on my Netonix as config'd now. What am I doing wrong? Or is this type configuration not supported on Netonix.

Core WAN router is Mikrotik Router. Mikrotik Eth Port1 connects to AF5XHD link which Connects to Netonix on its Eth Port1.
Netonix Eth Port2 connects to AP2, Netonix EThPort3 connects to AP3

Mikrotik IP config:
Eth Port 1 (no VLAN) IP: 10.14.3.x (IP block of management and AP2)
VLAN 150 on Eth Port1 IP: 10.14.5.x (IP block of AP3)

Id like to put each AP's traffic on seperate VLAN.
AP2 on the default management VLAN1
AP3 on VLAN150
All End user Subscriber wifi devices dont support VLANs.
Therefore both Netonix Ports 2 and 3 must be untagged ports.
Netonix port1 must be a trunk port, so that it allows both VLAN1 and 150 traffic inbound and outbound.
Ive checked Netonix EthPort1 as a Trunk and allowed all VLANs 1-4096

For VLAN1 , Ive made port3 "E" so regular traffic wont go to port3 and port3 traffic wont go to it. All other ports are at "U"
For VLAN 150, I've made Port3 "U" and Port1 as "T".

When at Mikrotik and I ping 10.14.5.x I see the packet going out the Mikrotik (using Torch). No packets return on VLAN150. Ping fails.
The return packets arrive on Ethport without VLAN.

Im guessing the packets likely are getting to port3 and going out untagged (but cant verify)
When untagged packets come in Netonix port3, I want them to be tagged VLAN 150, before they get sent back over the trunk (Port1) to Mikrotik.
However, that doesnt happen.

See attached diagram.
netonix-vlan.jpg
my netonix vlan config

[img]c:\scans\netonix-vlans[/img][img]c:\scans\netonix\vlan[/img][img]c:\scans\netonix\vlan[/img][img]c:\scans\netonix-vlans[/img]

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: Simple VLAN - what am I doing wrong

Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:47 pm

I'm afraid I can't tell you precisely what looks to be the issue just from this information because it does look correct from my rudimentary understanding of your network.

But I can say that this is something that should work on a Netonix switch and by far the most common reason why this might fail is because of RSTP.
RSTP is by default active on all Netonix switches going out the door and it will not recognize VLAN's dynamically unless you configure it to use MSTP on the STP tab, which require's a bit more configuration - and is typically unnecessary in most use case's.

More info on this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6854&p=34227&hilit=STP+VLAN#p34227

Return to General Discussion