ERPS - anyone using it, or did they buy Juniper etc?

wisp-wand

ERPS - anyone using it, or did they buy Juniper etc?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:45 pm

Over 90% of our tower sites are using Netonix now and pretty happy with them. Our core network is a Mikrotik with OSPF setup, we also have BGP and so convergence times are slow.
Rethinking our ring topology and was reminded of ERPS. I have been told I need a Juniper to run ERPS, maybe I do, but remembered Netonix switches support it, so , is anyone using ERPS in anger on Netonix switches and how does it hold up? I see if seems to still be in BETA so wouldn't normally thing of using in production.

Any feedback welcome

Thanks

W

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: ERPS - anyone using it, or did they buy Juniper etc?

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:02 pm

This pops up every now and then, but I've never gotten feedback on it. As far as we know though it's working.

Take a look at this thread for some more info:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6986&p=34855&hilit=+ERPS#p34855

Also here is an example of how to set it up (which can also be found in the above thread):
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3924&p=24910&hilit=ERPS#p24910

wisp-wand

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:25 pm

Thanks Stephen, I did read both of those posts, just wondered if there was any real world deployments. I can lab it up and have a play, but wonder if its going to be stable for actual use. Or if everyone is simply avoiding because it says BETA and so implies not for production use.

It is annoying when people assume that protocols like this are available in expensive Juniper and Cisco devices only and so won't work on something smaller, I guess there is nothing stopping me installing netonix switches, deploying a VLAN for ERPS on our ring and see how it does, or does it not work like that?

Regards

Wayne

Dave
Employee
Employee

Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm

actually, it would be appreciated if you did lab it out.....really hard to get feedback from people.....ha.. unless of course they are complaining....

wisp-wand

Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:13 pm

OK Dave will do. I have a variety of AC and DC switches in stock so can easily do this.
RE your comment about feedback, I agree we get the same its the curse of the IT industry. No one rings us up and says hey the broadband you installed has changed our lives it works so well! You would get bored with people posting how well Netonix switches work I'm sure!

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:01 pm

wisp-wand wrote:I have a variety of AC and DC switches in stock so can easily do this.

That would be great. I'm looking forward to taking "Beta" off of that part of the web UI.

wisp-wand wrote:You would get bored with people posting how well Netonix switches work I'm sure!

Well this just earned it's place in my favorite comments list. It's appreciated.

Return to General Discussion