no vlan experience - vlan Config - How to Config w/UI

rwallace686

no vlan experience - vlan Config - How to Config w/UI

Fri May 08, 2015 9:29 am

I am a newbie - never config'd a vlan. How is this done - anyone who is willing I need some elementary help, total beginner. Does each member of a 'vlan' need to have each port 'T' tagged, Untagged Tagging does not seem to work. I just wanted the ws-24-400B to perform as two (2) different Isolated switches. separating IP's from the same source.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

rwallace686 :???:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: no vlan experience - vlan Config - How to Config w/UI

Fri May 08, 2015 9:51 am

First off what you're asking is not a simple answer. You should do some reading first then ask specific questions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN
Google is a great source to start with

However if you wanted to feed the switch from 1 Port then you have to set your router up to deal with VLAN TAGGING

In the example below I am feeding the switch with one of the SFP cages from an imaginary router that has VLAN 10 and 20 configured on it so it will send the packets TAGGED as either VLAN 10 or VLAN 20 then the switch will decide which virtual switch the packet is destined to. In reverse the switch will accept UNTAGGED packets into ports 1-12 and then TAG them as VLAN 10 before pushing them out port 25 to the router.
vlan1.jpg
vlan1.jpg (64.05 KiB) Viewed 5420 times

In the example below I just separated the switch into 2 virtual switches so you would need to feed each separately but no VLAN TAGGING is required and ports 1-12 will not talk to devices on ports 13-24. HOWEVER you would need to plug into port 25 or 26 to be able to get to the switch UI/CLI. Or you could assign a NON ROUTABLE IP to each VLAN to access the switch UI/CLI by clicking on the little gear after VLAN description.
vlan2.jpg
vlan2.jpg (65.13 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

rwallace686

Re: no vlan experience - vlan Config - How to Config w/UI

Fri May 08, 2015 10:06 am

Thank you for the help. I shall follow your advice.

Return to General Discussion