DHCP on the switch

tomtech

DHCP on the switch

Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:26 pm

Hey all
I am re-numbering my towers to provide new IP ranges for management of equipment. We are testing things out and I have run into an odd issue. We are running all our management traffic over vlan 200. we have tagged the traffic at the switch and anything we plug into the switch gets an IP from our DHCP server, and traffic passes through to the customer on the untagged network. AOK
So now I want my Netonix switches to obtain DHCP from the same VLAN. Nothing I try seems to make it work. There are not a lot of options so I am wondering if this is possible.

Any help would be great and Thanks...

T

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: DHCP on the switch

Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 pm

This would have to be done with the management VLAN.
If that is acceptable then simply drag vlan 200 to the top of the list in the VLANs tab, which will set it to the management VLAN.

I suggest saving the config here and making sure everything works first before switching from Static to DHCP as below:

Next, under the Device->Config tab:

Look for the IPv4 Panel and switch it from 'Static' to 'DHCP' and save the config.

You will then need to find your switches assigned IP from the list of leases from your DHCP server and use it to reconnect to the switch because the webGUI has no mechanism to determine the switches new address from DHCP.

tomtech

Sun May 02, 2021 11:52 pm

Great Suggestion. Just gave it a try and the switch grabbed the IP ! And the CPE's are still reachable under the VLAN. If no one calls in the morning, we have a procedure.
Had I known that you can drag and drop the VLANS, I might have tried that.

Thanks again.

T

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Glad to be of help.

Return to General Discussion