Multiple Ip addresses

abatie

Multiple Ip addresses

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:20 pm

To assist with a migration, I'd like to assign a separate ip address to a couple of vlans, but it looks like I can only do one global ip address?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: Multiple Ip addresses

Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:41 pm

In the VLAN tab, click the gear for the VLAN you want to assign an IP address to.

VlanGear.PNG

VlanIPOption.PNG

You can assign an IP address to VLANs there.

This won't work for the Management VLAN because it already uses the IP address of the switch.

abatie

Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:08 pm

When you go there, it says "Note: This IP address is only used for Watchdogs and is non-routable"; I'm actually trying to move management of the switch onto our management vlan... A hack would be to bring the untagged packets into the management vlan on the uplink switch, but that's a hack...

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:21 pm

abatie wrote: I'm actually trying to move management of the switch onto our management vlan...

I'm not quite clear what you mean by this, the switch cannot be managed in any other fashion if you are not using a console cable. Could you explain your use-case a bit more? Perhaps there are some other networking guru's here would have a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish who can chime in.

abatie

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 pm

Current configuration:

Netonix Switch @ Site# show vlan
ID Enable Description 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
---- ------ ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
1 true Management E U U U U U U U U U U U U U
101 true Backhaul U E E E E E E E E E E T E E
116 true Net Mgmt E E E E E E E E E E E T E E

VLAN 1 IPv4 Address: 10.121.1.2/255.255.255.0

Currently, traffic to the switch at 10.121.1.2 comes in untagged on port 1, but directed to the router connected to port 12 (tagged for vlan101, which has the public address), which is the gateway for this p2p private subnet, and routes the packet back untagged so it ends up on vlan 1 and accepted as 10.121.1.2. Don't blame me - I didn't set this up, I just inherited it ;-)

The backhaul is moving from wireless to fiber and will be coming into the router directly as it should, but I want to put the switch on our management vlan (116, 172.20.x.y) and not have a private point-to-point as the management access. I'd like to set this up in parallel to get as much operational as possible before the cutover to minimize downtime without locking myself out ;-) so I want to be able to get to it both the old way (10.121.1.2) and the new way (172.20.x.y) at the same time.

I hope that makes sense...

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:20 pm

Well, I've had to read that a few times but I think I get the gist.

In essence, no, the switch cannot be managed from multiple VLAN's/IP address's, you can only access the web UI or ssh console from a single VLAN/IP.

However, it could still work if you setup the network like you're planning for the migration and at that time change the switch's IP from the 10 to the 172 address.
If it works, you're good to go for the other changes you need for the migration.
If it doesn't then the switch will revert back to the 10 address (check the Revert Timer in Device->Config to see how long it would take in seconds).
So as long as you're setup to connect to the switch at either address, you should still be able to do the migration - maybe just in a different order.

I hope that helps.

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:13 am

The message "This IP address is only used for Watchdogs and is non-routable" is a little misleading. Those addresses can be used for management if you are directly connected on the same subnet. If you are not on the same subnet, it will accept connections on those addresses if traffic is routed to them, and will attempt to send the response through the default gateway in the main configuration.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:20 am

You could simply change vlan 1 to 116

Should be
Code: Select all
 Netonix Switch @ Site# show vlan
ID Enable Description 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
---- ------ ----------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
116 true Management E E E E E E E E E E E T E E
101 true Backhaul U E E E E E E E E E E T E E
xxx true Management E U U U U U U U U U U U U U

VLAN 116 IPv4 Address: 10.121.1.2/255.255.255.0

abatie

Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:13 am

Stephen wrote:Well, I've had to read that a few times but I think I get the gist.

In essence, no, the switch cannot be managed from multiple VLAN's/IP address's, you can only access the web UI or ssh console from a single VLAN/IP.

However, it could still work if you setup the network like you're planning for the migration and at that time change the switch's IP from the 10 to the 172 address.
If it works, you're good to go for the other changes you need for the migration.
If it doesn't then the switch will revert back to the 10 address (check the Revert Timer in Device->Config to see how long it would take in seconds).
So as long as you're setup to connect to the switch at either address, you should still be able to do the migration - maybe just in a different order.

I hope that helps.

Thanks, and especially for noting that it has a revert timer! That will be invaluable...

Return to General Discussion