parallel links

mountainmesh

parallel links

Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:03 pm

I have two parallel links that are 6.5 miles long, both with excellent link quality. One is the AF 5XHD and the other is the AF 60LR. When the weather is bad the AF 60LR falls offline so we manually switch the traffic over to the 5XHD until the weather clears, then manually switch back. Not an optimal solution.

We are wondering if there is a way for the Netonix switch (WS-8-150-DC) to automatically perform this task when the AF 60LR falls offline?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: parallel links

Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Well, if they are in parallel- I assume that means they connect to the same device on the other end?

Via STP:

If that's so, then enabling STP on both sides would do it. You could fiddle with the priorities so that the AF 5XHD link is disabled while the AF 60LR link is enabled. Then, when weather gets bad and the AF 60LR link goes down, the AF 5XHD link would be enabled until the weather disperses.

EDIT: This does NOT work presently, use STP or LAG as mike99 suggested down-below for now 4/2/2021

Via Watchdog:

If that doesn't work you could potentially also setup a watchdog on the AF 5XHD port as long as when the AF 60LR device (or another device that is pingable) is not pingable when the 60LR link goes down.

In which case setup your switch as follows:

watchdog (I am only showing the essential options):
port: (5XHD port), Enable: true, Hostname/IP/URL: (60LR radio, or other ping-able device on this side), Action: Disable Link

5XHD link: enabled, stp: disabled
60LR link: enabled, stp: disabled

So, what's happening is that the watchdog is constantly trying to ping the 60LR, as long as it can ping it, it will disable the 5XHD link. When it cannot ping it, it will enable the 5XHD link. This is why it's important that the 60LR, or a device like it, is not be ping-able when it's link is down - that all depends on your network.

The STP option is simpler to setup, so if that works I'd recommend doing it that way. But if it doesn't work the watchdog option should work - just be sure to set everything up the order above, as in, setup the watchdog while the 5XHD link is down in order to avoid a loop.

I hope that helps.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:29 pm

LAG would also work with lower port priority on the 60LR.

mountainmesh

Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:36 am

To clarify... I have a 5XHD AP and STA as backup link and a 60LR AP and STA as a primary link. They both can supply internet to the same remote location but I only have one link working at a time to avoid a loop. I have to manually enable and disable the link needed based on weather in the Netonix. Looking for a way for when the 60LR drops off due to weather the 5XHD will come

online and when it clears the 60LR will be restored.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 am

Like already writen, STP or LAG.

KBrownConsulting

Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:57 am

Stephen wrote:So, what's happening is that the watchdog is constantly trying to ping the 60LR, as long as it can ping it, it will disable the 5XHD link. When it cannot ping it, it will enable the 5XHD link.

@Stephen, is the trigger logic actually reversed for a Watchdog rule that uses the "Disable Link" action? Usually the action takes place when it can't ping the specified IP... If the logic truly is reversed could this be noted in the built-in Help (question mark icon) in the Watchdog page in the switch?

On a completely unrelated note... Is there anyway to search the forum for exact phrases? (I tried to search for "Disable Link" but it's returning all posts that include those words anywhere in the message.)

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:47 pm

@KBrownConsulting, oof - you are correct.

Now that I know of this use case though I will add it to the software in a future release.

For the search, after an initial search there will be a link at the top of the list of results: "Go to Advanced Search". Which takes you here: search.php

There you can enter more specific rules, add a "+" sign to values that must be in the search results. So for example:

+Disable +Link

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:08 pm

A carrier drop in the swtich, instead of the radios, would be awsome. SNMP querry the radio from the netonix for signal or rate and if above x, modify STP cost, Lag priorty and disable data vlan (radio still recheable through management vlan).
Something like for temp action in WS3, if OID $x is <= or >= at y value, stp cost = y or lag priority = y

Return to General Discussion