Multiple RSTP links on one switch

johnnymac

Multiple RSTP links on one switch

Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:16 pm

Hi, we would like to create 4 individual RSTP links (8 radios) on one WS-26-500-DC switch.

One link will contain all traffic and will provide the redundant link back to our head end.

Each of the other 3 RSTP links will contain traffic specific to multiple VLANs (one or more on each link) that connect further out our network.

We're fairly new to netonix switches and to RSTP and VLANs as well.

Anyone willing to shed some light?

If anyone knows anyone who does this for a living, we are willing to pay (reasonably we hope lol) for assistance.

Thanks in advanced,

John

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Multiple RSTP links on one switch

Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:42 pm

RSTP can't be isolated but you could with MSTP. This feature is still beta.

First, post a schema to explain better what you want to achieve.

johnnymac

Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:26 pm

Hi,

Our current network design (determined by position of big hills and towers) creates the following layout:

[img]c:\users\john\desktop\network.jpeg[/img]
Head End (office - in town) -> Tower A (remote hill)

Tower A -> Tower B, Tower C, Tower D

Towers B, C, D -> Towers X,Y,Z

We currently have an RSTP link between head end and Tower A using 2 Ubiquity Edgeswitch 8 POE.

Because of the location of the fibre in town and the location of towers B,C,D, it is necessary to have all distribution done at tower A.

We'd like to install a netonix ws-26-500-dc at each site (head end, tower A, B, C, D) and have an STP link between each IE:

Head End -> Tower A
Tower A - > Tower B
Tower A -> Tower C
Tower A -> Tower D

Our problem is setting up the STP at tower A requiring 3 STP links on the same switch. We're sure this can be done, but it's new to us and we find ourselves kind of "Screwed" at the moment ha ha ha.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

mike99
Associate
Associate

Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:48 am

Insert image only allow to post image from the internet. You must use the "Upload attachement" option at the bottom of the editor to upload a file.

johnnymac

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:31 am

Sorry, the best I could come up with quickly.
Network.jpeg

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:43 pm

Hello johnnymac,

I'm a bit confused as to where the trouble is based on the diagram.

If the WS-26 is at the Main Distribution tower, connecting to the Head End, Secondary, Tertiary, and Quarternary tower and assuming there is a different networking device at each of those towers each with different MAC address's and RSTP enabled.

Then connecting the WS-26 with a "discarding" redundant link set by RSTP should work without much more configuration other than simply plugging them in and allowing RSTP to converge.

Although, you did mention VLANs.

A scenario where this might be problematic would be the following:

Netonix Switch| Port 1, VLAN 10 ================ Port 2, VLAN 10 | Networking Device
_______________ | Port 2, VLAN 20 ========x======= Port 3, VLAN 20 |______________________

RSTP is not VLAN aware, so if you have 2 links that are logically separate but physically going to the same 2 devices, such as the above.
Then RSTP will cut the link for one of them.

In that scenario you need MSTP, which is beta, but has matured quite a bit, as you can see on this thread

johnnymac

Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:08 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess the primary issue is our lack of knowledge when it comes to vlans and rstp links.

So, to be sure I understand you correctly, I can run multiple rstp links to different towers (each with another ws-26 switch in our case) and the rstp protocol will determine which destination ports are redundant to which source ports based on the mac addresses of each end. That is, the ports for each redundant link on the source switch (main distribution) can have the same priority settings IE: main link - 16, backup link - 32 and will operate independently of each other?

If you like, you can email me at: jm@micsystems.ca I'd certainly like to purchase a bit of your time.

Thanks again

John

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Here a vlan schema. If you can't figure out, the're several consultant on the "WISP talk" group on facebook.
Attachments
vlan.png

Return to General Discussion