AC switch powering AF5X or AC converter for WS-6-Mini

akwire

AC switch powering AF5X or AC converter for WS-6-Mini

Tue May 05, 2015 7:38 pm

Help me out here.

Planning on using the AF5X for PTP backhaul on some R5-AC-PTMP radios at 3 remote sites. Looking at the specs listed on all the WISP switches the only one with the passive 24V PoE capable of powering the AF5X is the WS-6-MINI. The rest show a N/A :???:

All three sites have AC power so a 8 port switch would be OK but the way I am reading it, the WS-6-MINI is the only switch capable of powering the AF5X? (I am only installing 1ea of the AF5X and 2ea of the R5-AC-PTMP at each site)

If I have to have DC power for the WS-6-MINI, what AC converter would you recommend?

Thanks!
Attachments
AF5X specs.PNG
AF5X specs.PNG (35.15 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
WS-6-MINI PoE.png
WS-6-MINI PoE.png (105.44 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Re: AC switch powering AF5X or AC converter for WS-6-Mini

Tue May 05, 2015 7:53 pm

From what I understand, If you keep the cable runs short, you can power the AF-5x just fine with ANY Wisp switch using one of the ports capable of 48v High set at 24 V.

You can power the WS-6-MINI remotely with the POE brick from an AirFiber (not AF5x).

Chris has also said that he hopes to offer a power supply with a barrel connector for sale on the site.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: AC switch powering AF5X or AC converter for WS-6-Mini

Tue May 05, 2015 8:26 pm

If you are using an older Revision of our switches (Rev A through C) just plug the AF5X into a port that is capable of 48VH "but select standard 24V as the POE option for that port" as those special ports that are capable of 48VH have .75A Poly Fuses and even though you are using only 2 pairs you can safely go about 150 feet of cable with a .75A Poly Fuse on only 2 pair.

Now if you have a new Revision D board then you get .75A on all standard 24V and 48V ports so it does not matter which port yo use so long as the cable is less than 150 feet.

All of the WS-8-250-AC switches shipping now are Rev D except the Pre-Production units with the WHITE Decals were Rev C.

You can tell what revision your board is under the Device/Status Tab but on firmware v1.2.0 or newer it tells you what each port is rated at under the Ports Tab where you select the POE for the port.

Now both the WS-6-MINI and the WS-12-250-AC now support 24VH which is 1.5A on all for pairs on special ports. On the WS-6-MINI that is port 2 and on the WS-12-250-AC that is ports 1-4.

THe WS-12-250-AC will start shipping tomorrow but seriously any of our switches will power the AF5X, many have been powering AF5x for months, go read this post HERE
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion