More models with SFP+ coming anytime??

wispwest

More models with SFP+ coming anytime??

Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:56 am

Been waiting for SFP+ for years, finally have a few beta models but I'm shocked on how far the price went up! Are they really that more expensive? Or is there a lot more extra we're getting out of the switch maybe??

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Re: More models with SFP+ coming anytime??

Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:13 am

wispwest wrote:Or is there a lot more extra we're getting out of the switch maybe??

Yes, that. More to it than just SFP+

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: More models with SFP+ coming anytime??

Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:53 pm

wispwest wrote:Been waiting for SFP+ for years, finally have a few beta models but I'm shocked on how far the price went up! Are they really that more expensive? Or is there a lot more extra we're getting out of the switch maybe??

Those will eventually support L3 features like OSPF.

I think some don't realise how Netonix switchs are cheap. Check the price of any temperature extended PoE switch except Ubnt and Mikrotik and you will see those cost way more than Netonix.

Ubnt and Mikrotik use entreprise chipset while netonix use carrier chipset. By exemple, Netonix have ERPS and OAM features (beta) to switch layer 2 traffic in less than 50 ms.

Maybe we will see even more eventually. Also, if I understand well, Mikrotik need a 24V and 48V power supply to be able to do both voltage. That some kind of dirty hack to make those switch cheap and I don't think those support high voltage.

In the end, if you look at the hardware, Netonix and Ubnt and Tik shouldn't be consider equal. By exemple, if you look at cambium switch, the 8 port PoE SFP (not SFP+) model cost more than the WS3.

Return to General Discussion