Tools->Discovery has never worked

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: Tools->Discovery has never worked

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:21 pm

Very possible, that's specific enough I can try and read through code to try and find something without necessarily recreating the setup. If I find something that seems to match I will create a test build and send it to you to try out, however, it will probably be next week before I'm able to spare much time to try that.
If I find something could you try a test build on some of your switches?

mducharme

Re: Tools->Discovery has never worked

Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm

Stephen wrote:If I find something that seems to match I will create a test build and send it to you to try out, however, it will probably be next week before I'm able to spare much time to try that. If I find something could you try a test build on some of your switches?

Yes, I'm not in a tremendous hurry for a fix, we have lived with it for this long already. I'll see if I can find a suitable switch for a test device but I'm not really wanting to use a production one as they are all several hundred kilometers away from us, so if anything went wrong it would take a long time to get there. Maybe if we have a spare device in our office I can have someone test it there.

One other thing - the trunk port to the MikroTik has tagged VLANs only, no untagged. Even with only tagged VLANs, the switch should still be sending and receiving three kinds of packets untagged on those ports - STP BPDU's, CDP and LLDP. Because the MikroTik cannot see LLDP or CDP from the Netonix on the trunk port and vice versa, I would conclude that probably the Netonix is only sending CDP and LLDP out the port and receiving them on the port if there is at least one untagged VLAN on the port. This is not the behaviour I would expect to see, but I assume this is probably along the lines of what is happening.

EDIT: I was partially mistaken and want to correct something - on the tagged-only trunk port, the MikroTik does receive the CDP and/or LLDP from the Netonix and shows it as a neighbor, but in the other direction does not work. I tried making a new dummy VLAN on the Netonix and adding it untagged on the trunk port and it didn't make any difference.

Previous
Return to General Discussion