Ubiquiti AF60 LR POE issue

CBORG

Ubiquiti AF60 LR POE issue

Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:00 pm

Hello.

Last week I was preparing a temporary installation using the new Ubiquiti AF60 LR. I was testing the setup with a new Netonix WS-12-250-AC.

This test/setup happened in my hotel room.

The AF60 LR uses 2 pair 48V POE powering, per the data sheet.

I used a new cat-7 patch cable from one of the switch ports, and connected it to the AF60 LR. I then turned on the 48V POE on the Netonix. I hit 'Save/Apply'.

A small pop and a wisp of smoke emanated from the Wisp Switch. No joy on the POE for the dish. The dish was sitting on the hotel room bed, connected to nothing else - not attached to any piece of metal. That switch port now won't do POE, but it will pass traffic.

I double checked my connection. Figuring perhaps a bad cable, I tried a different patch - another Netonix port, a different cat 7 cable.

Connect, turn on 48V 2 pair POE, hit 'Save/Apply' - and pop, another wisp of smoke from the Netonix. No Joy on the dish.

Third try - change cable to a cat 5e (no shielding), same procedure, different switch port - and success. Device powers up, no smoke.

So I have a Switch that needs RMA, but honestly, I followed the instructions and turned on the correct POE after the connection to the device was made.

Ubiquiti issue? Cat 7 cable issue?

Thanks.

Chris.

ahteran

Re: Ubiquiti AF60 LR POE issue

Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:01 am

Cat7 short circuit between RJ45 ends.

mrmarria

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:07 pm

Anymore on this? Like to setup AF-60 LR myself, conclusive on bad cable or something else?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Maybe test the cat 7 cable between 2 ports without power see if the port is up and do a cable check test.

mrmarria

Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:23 pm

Set up AF60-LR link today.

THe WS-8-150-DC reported bad cable on (maybe 8 ft long) as pairs shorted on green pair and blue pair, (green pair B style, split by blue pair)
Cable tester shows no issues at all.

Tried a power up after double checking cable ends and the way they seated in sockets both ends, turned on to 48 low. Netonix goes green on connector display, Mikrotik says good 1Gig connection, but cannot communicate with device.

Reverted to UBNT supplied power, everything works fine.

Netonix has problem with AF60-LR ?

Suggestions?

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:37 pm

Hello mrmarria,

I don't have a AF60 LR yet, so for reference, would you be able to snap a decent resolution pic of the fine-print on the label of the UB POE that came with it ?

Over the years, I have participated in definite cases on the UB forums in the past, where their genius product developers have even managed to do things like use the EXACT same part number on a POE, where one was actually wired as 2-pair power and the other was 4-pair. :crazy:

So with UB and POE power packs, it never hurts for all of us to triple check, because they can't seem to make things that are logical and consistent. ;)

mrmarria

Re: Ubiquiti AF60 LR POE issue POE Picture added

Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am

Power Supply POE.jpg
I will try to get a picture today and post it.

The spec sheet has this:
Max. Power Consumption 18W
Power Method Passive PoE (Pairs 4, 5+; 7, 8-)
Power Supply 48VDC, 0.65A Gigabit PoE Adapter
Supported Voltage Range 48VDC ± 10%
ESD/EMP Protection Air/Contact: ± 24kV
Operating Temperature -40 to 60° C (-40 to 140° F)
Operating Humidity 5 to 95% Noncondensing
CertiØcations FCC, IC, C

mrmarria

Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:47 pm

I am bumping this up.

Again today I attempted to power up the AF60 LR on a WS-150-8-DC which powers up the AF60 just fine, and as happened before, there is NO IP communication at all though the Netonix indicates green and Gig speed. There is no ping response. I tried swapping around ports etc, same result.

Putting back on Ubiquiti power supply, everthing works.

I have queried Ubiquiti about this and their answer is Very unhelpful:
UI Support (Ubiquiti Help Center)

Feb 21, 2021, 18:14 UTC
Hello,

To power on the AF-60-LR 48VDC, 0.65A power supply required as per the datasheet.

If you have any other questions, please let us know!

Thanks!

Best,

UI Support
Ubiquiti Inc.

I hit them again, but expect no more help, maybe NetoniX folk can talk with them etc?

UPDATE:
got bumped up to next level support

OK, loaded v2.5.0-BETA3 successfully. Both ends reconnect quickly, Hoped for fix, reconnected through Netonix POE switch.
Unfortunately, the unit would not respond TCP, ping, GUI or SSH as far as I can tell no traffic, though both the router and the Netonix seemed to think 1G connection was established.
Very frustrating, keeping these out of production as they perform so well, on AC POE supplies....
Still no luck !!!

When I power up the port to the AF60-LR it comes on The color squares goes red in the center for 8 seconds or so, goes black for 4 then becomes a solid green
Have seen red before...

ste

Fri May 14, 2021 4:08 am

Just powered a AF60LR on a Mini/Port 4 with 48V without problem. Both sides show 1G-FDX. Could login to AF60LR through this connection.

mrmarria

Fri May 14, 2021 11:44 am

I just got a message from Level 3 support at Ubiquiti:
"If you purchased the AF60-LR from our Early Access store it would be the two-pair POE versions and would have come with a 2-pair POE injector. Units from distributors will be the 4-pair POE version."

I am waiting on a definitive answer about how you can tell by mac id etc.

Now I got mine from Double Radius and the power supply pictured earlier, SAYS it is powering on 2 pairs. Also, I was successful powering up and communicating with Tycon TP-DCDC-2448G-HP

No luck with Netonix WS-8-150 -DC port 2 48 Low or the WS-8-150-AC port 2 48 Low - powers up, won't talk......Ubiquiti suggested not getting enough power.

BTW, these radios have heaters in them , could double the draw in cold weather, i am told.

Next
Return to General Discussion