Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Any updates?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: DC Switch ETA

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:37 pm

ginovilla wrote:Any updates?

Same as before, end of month at the soonest, maybe 1st or 2nd week of May?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Kingsley

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:34 pm

When can we pre order? We would like to try some out here in New Zealand!

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Kingsley wrote:When can we pre order? We would like to try some out here in New Zealand!

As soon as I have a firm delivery date. We are still shooting for LIMITED release by the end of this month.

We are also waiting on a final BOM to make sure the MSRP is OK.

Right now it is looking like we may need to bump the MSRP up some, approximately $10.00 to $20.00.

We might not bump the WS-12-250-DC as much as the WS-8-250-DC as there is a little slop/room in there to absorb some but our GPM on the WS-8-250-XX is not so good.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Brough

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:05 pm

How does one get to be part of the limited release?

I'm extremely interested in getting two WS-12-250DC switches. We'd deploy them almost immediately at a new site (some traffic almost immediately but substantial traffic getting added over the subsequent 4-8 weeks).

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Brough wrote:How does one get to be part of the limited release?

I'm extremely interested in getting two WS-12-250DC switches. We'd deploy them almost immediately at a new site (some traffic almost immediately but substantial traffic getting added over the subsequent 4-8 weeks).

As soon as I release them for pre-order place your order, we always do FIFO on filling orders.

JimBouse

Tue May 12, 2015 10:27 am

Good morning Chris.

Do you have any idea when the DC switches may hit?

Thanks.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue May 12, 2015 10:45 am

We had made changes just before the scheduled release to production that were meant to improve the power supply efficiency but we got a few traces too close to the the inductor which was causing other bad things to occur so we are in the process of running off a new test board for proof of design.

"If" that goes well we will order a small test production that we will release sometime beginning of June.

We could have gone to market with the previous design before the inductor change but we were not happy with the efficiency/capacity at lower input voltages below 24V. This new design with a better inductor provides the improved performance we were looking for but as I said we created another issue which has to be addressed.

We are sorry for the delay but we are trying to provide a power supply that provides as close to or exceeds 250 watts capacity throughout the entire input voltage range of 9-60V.

We understand that there will be people out there with 12V sites (we recommend 24-48V) so we want to make sure their experience is good.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat May 23, 2015 1:53 pm

I thought I should make a post about the progress of the DC switch models.

I am about to take the family down to the shore for 2 days but Dave is hard at work all weekend. He just received the latest test units of the new DC power supplies yesterday and is in the process of setting them up for testing.

As you can see this new version has changed substantially from previous models.

After he assembles them he will be preforming load, jitter, thermal, and a slew of other tedious testing which all I have to say is better him then me! :rofl4:

If all goes well the next step will be to hand it off to Eric for some final software testing/development.

After that it will be handed to me to work with Eric and Dave on any final changes (mostly software).

FINALLY it will be green lighted for a "RUSH" pre-production run of just under 200 units (parts we have in stock minus PCBs) which will take about 2 weeks. Of course this run will not be done to make profit as production costs on such a small run is ridiculously HIGH but rather to get them out to you guys for field testing and feedback. Probably people will be able to get these just under 200 pre-production units sometime by mid June.

Before a production run can occur we will have a lot more testing to be done such as final emissions and safety testing but a first production run should start in July if all goes well with testing this weekend and feedback from the pre-production units goes well. I will try and keep you updated this weekend as testing proceeds.

Of course there is always lead times to contend with but I want to have this in the channel in masses by end of July if at all possible.

This is a complicated "smart" power supply, it has it's own processor and firmware and is in constant communications with the switch via an I2C communication BUS to relay vital telemetry such as input voltage and current draw as well as general power supply thermal sensor data and more. This I2C communication link between the switch CPU and the power supply CPU is also how the power supply firmware gets upgraded in the field if needed via the normal switch firmware upgrade procedure.

CLICK IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW FULL SIZE
WS-12-250-DC.jpg
WS-12-250-DC.jpg (301.77 KiB) Viewed 23933 times

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Wed May 27, 2015 2:29 pm

Are both the 8 and 12 versions going to be available ~the end of June? I'm waiting impatiently for the WS-12-250-DC. Also, besides checking the web site every day, is there a way to know when pre orders launch?

P.S.
I know it isn't going to happen any time soon, but what I would really love is a version with dual hot swap power supplies that could be either AC or DC. If it were ~$350 for the switch and $150-200 for each of the power supplies, we would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Next
Return to General Discussion