EdgeRouter™ X

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: EdgeRouter™ X

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:14 am

Yea, I think they are neat boxes but I see these more as Enterprise/Consumer devices and I do not feel they take away from our switches but could actually add to their usefulness?

The little $50 router could be a neat router option for a small tower and could be powered from our switches so that is really cool.

The one problem I see is the temperature range is only 40C again so you could not put them in a small un-vented box on the tower like we want to with the WS-6-MINI because our testing showed they can get warm in that box and we had to do last minute design changes to insure proper operations in that heat.

I see the ER SFP as a neat light-span to a far point in a warehouse/office to pickup some remote equipment like cameras and UniFI stuff.

As I said it is neat equipment but more geared for the Enterprise/Consumer market, although many WISP's could use these routers for commercial customers, it is for sure the right price point for that application with far better features and performance then anything in that price range as Stig and Ancheng have done a good job with Vyatta.

Now if they could switch to VyOS that would be neat.

I think they are targeting Tik more then me, I do not think Robert even notices I exist which is fine because we are trying to stay out of his way and find a niche that he deems to small to bother with. He still owes me a trip to China because he once promised to take me with him sometime. - A PROMISE IS A PROMISE ROBERT! I would get him so shit faced wasted in Shenzhen - LOL
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jjonsson
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:47 am

The EdgeRouter X would be a very nice router for a small tower together with one of your switches. But the lack of HW acceleration makes me wonder if there'll be similar problems with this router as there is with the TOUGHswitches.

I would like a faster EdgeRouter Lite / PoE, one that can do FQ_Codel on 500 Mbps. That would really do a difference....

ISW-Mike

Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:53 pm

Apparently it has an 'ip' processor and they're looking at implementing it. The ER software guys are second only to the AF guys on knocking things out / getting it right. As long as they don't say it's coming SOON!

From the horses mouth (and not the dead one from Adama thread)...
"Yes there is possibility for hardware acceleration (e.g., HW NAT) on the ER-X and we are looking into whether/how it may be feasible to implement"

josh
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:09 pm

ISW-Mike wrote:Apparently it has an 'ip' processor and they're looking at implementing it. The ER software guys are second only to the AF guys on knocking things out / getting it right. As long as they don't say it's coming SOON!

From the horses mouth (and not the dead one from Adama thread)...
"Yes there is possibility for hardware acceleration (e.g., HW NAT) on the ER-X and we are looking into whether/how it may be feasible to implement"

The er-x is no slouch. Pretty good performance, must faster Web UI than the edgerouter. POE passthrough or POE out for the CPE. Decent home/smb router lacking the ip offload of cavium...

needs a wireless model

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:30 pm

The ER-X is a different platform than the ER-Lite, so performance will not be directly comparable. no no hardware offloading but a bit better general purpose CPU.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:32 pm

The thing is that they (yet again) have a very misrepresentative image of the product, showing 48v devices plugged in with the 24v supply feeding it suggesting that the device can power them, which it cannot. Further, they have the same kind of marketting suggesting that 'Edgerouters' have hardware offload and not mentioning that the ER-X line doesn't. wtf is wrong with them?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:39 pm

They do muddy the waters some when they talk about the switch fabric being hardware offloading. So, if it is used as a switch, it is capable of doing the switching in hardware.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Yeah, its basically a mikrotik router w/ vyatta, same switch chip tik uses.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:37 pm

rebelwireless wrote:Yeah, its basically a mikrotik router w/ vyatta, same switch chip tik uses.

Where did you get information about switch chip ? Anyway, both RB and Ubnt have always use mostly atheros product. Exemple, RB450G and RSPro where using the same CPU and switch, both where using atheros radio until airfiber, etc. One major difference will be better CPU for less $. Software can also make a lot of difference. You can adapt a ER to you need while you can't change anything on a tik. A lot will also like more ER GUI. Tik interface is a true mess for those not use to it.

rebelwireless
Experienced Member

Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:47 pm

mike99 wrote:
rebelwireless wrote:Yeah, its basically a mikrotik router w/ vyatta, same switch chip tik uses.

Where did you get information about switch chip ? Anyway, both RB and Ubnt have always use mostly atheros product. Exemple, RB450G and RSPro where using the same CPU and switch, both where using atheros radio until airfiber, etc. One major difference will be better CPU for less $. Software can also make a lot of difference. You can adapt a ER to you need while you can't change anything on a tik. A lot will also like more ER GUI. Tik interface is a true mess for those not use to it.

I can't find the post on the ubnt forums atm, but it's there. These are *VERY* similar to the RB2011 series component wise. who knows about build quality though, same chips different PCB and layout etc could mean a lot. Performance wise, probably pretty similar.

As far as adapting to your needs, I don't think there is an apples-to-apples here. There are things that the ER will likely never do, like MPLS for instance. Ubiquiti doesn't seem up to writing their own MPLS stack since linux lacks one and 'tik already has it. one example, could easily find a dozen more. on the flip side, debian on MIPs has a lot of flexability.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion