EdgeRouter™ X

TheHox
Experienced Member

Re: EdgeRouter™ X

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:21 pm

But now that I read into it further, the ER-X-SFP does have PoE on all 5 ports, so their example deployment is ok. They just tried to make the ER-X look nicer/cleaner than it really would be.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:29 pm

N0, the SFP model only does 24V so it still cannot power the UAP-AC or UVC-Pro.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:44 pm

I think an ER-X paired with one of our WISP Switches is a perfect match, a full featured router that "you can power from the switch" for $50.00 - SWEET
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Ant

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:57 pm

One thing I will always like about Netonix vs UBNT router/switches is the power connector. I can't stand barrel power connectors for any equipment. I seem to have much better stability on my equipment when the all equipment uses three prong power cords! Par the course for UBNT 85% engineering thought process for the last two years.

wayneorack
Experienced Member

Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:48 pm

sirhc wrote:Not sure what UBNT is thinking as that little $50 router/switch will take away a lot of sales from the EdgeROUTER Lite?

It doesn't make sense to me to undersell the ERL and ER POE. The only thing that makes sense is that Ubiquiti is trying to put a knife into the heart of MikroTik. If that is true, it is very scary. It might mean that they want to dominate the market and have abandoned their disruptive price strategy.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:07 pm

wayneorack wrote:
sirhc wrote:Not sure what UBNT is thinking as that little $50 router/switch will take away a lot of sales from the EdgeROUTER Lite?

It doesn't make sense to me to undersell the ERL and ER POE. The only thing that makes sense is that Ubiquiti is trying to put a knife into the heart of MikroTik. If that is true, it is very scary. It might mean that they want to dominate the market and have abandoned their disruptive price strategy.

Well that means very disruptive pricing...."for awhile anyway"

Look at AF24 HD, we all know it did not cost twice as much to build, no competition!
Look at AF5X, very nice price to compete with Mimosa, hence competition!
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

ISW-Mike

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:00 am

I think what we're seeing with their new X designation is the equivalent of a version 2 of the current products. I'm willing to bet there are some new TS-x in the pipe that's going to remind folks of some products seen here. You have to tip the hat on the ER-X-SFP. They'll let folks chew on these 2 things for a while -- a fluff of the sails if you will -- but I fully expect to see some ER-POE and TS8 equiv capable of powering the AFs around the price of current gear, if not cheaper.
Tik doesn't really have anything that can compete with the SFP as it stands now....certainly not at its price.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:47 am

ISW-Mike wrote:Tik doesn't really have anything that can compete with the SFP as it stands now....certainly not at its price.

Did not see a price yet for the SFP model?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 am

$79 MSRP

mike99
Associate
Associate

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:02 am

No octeon CPU so it seem like the're no hardware acceleration. It's fine for small buisness but probably not for WISP except if you use mainly a layer 2 network with Edgerouter X for local customer only. I would curious about the performance of DSCP mapping (not support by ER Octeon HA anyway).

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion