Modbus RTU/TCP Slave

peremodaw

Modbus RTU/TCP Slave

Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:31 am

Hi everyone,

I've been searching through the forums and have thus far been unable to find an answer to the following question:
Do any of your switches support Modbus RTU or TCP slave mode? We have a customer that is interested in using your products for deployment and we are hoping to collect telemetry data from your switch from a Modbus master device we will have on-site.
Regards,

Sloth Smith

sakita
Experienced Member

Re: Modbus RTU/TCP Slave

Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:12 pm

To the best of my knowledge none of the WS switches support Modbus for switch monitoring (they do have the ability to use the serial port to connect to an external Modbus device).

Like most network switches they use SNMP for monitoring - so either the monitoring device speaks SNMP or a protocol converter could be used (e.g. we have industrial control equipment that speaks numerous protocols - including Modbus and SNMP - so we can pick what works in a given situation).

There are some industrial switches on the market that do speak Modbus natively for >= 5x the price. Given the cost difference it surprises me that this is a thing vs using the network equipment standard which is SNMP (I can kind of get it with having one protocol but Modbus is not optimal for everything).

Question for Netonix - did the special switching device for the gas industry speak Modbus? If it did, would it be possible to add Modbus switch monitoring to the WS line? As exemplified by the OP's question, this could sell some more switches in the industrial markets...
Today is an average day: Worse than yesterday, but better than tomorrow.

Dave
Employee
Employee

Re: Modbus RTU/TCP Slave

Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:09 pm

our first ws2 product, the ws2-4-50, supports the Modbus..it is planned to be for sale hopefully be years end...

Return to General Discussion