Documentation

lweidig

Documentation

Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:05 am

Let me first start off by saying that we love these switches and have been very impressed with Chris's integrity/honesty as they continue the roll out / update process. In fact we have a number of them in place.

The issue now seems to be that each firmware release is adding a number of items to the UI and while some of them are intuitive and obvious what they do or the format expected others are not. For instance the GPS will not take coordintates simply in decimal format (have not played to find what they expect). Not that I see anything happening with this it is just an example.

The one option we are most interested in at this point is the simple check box for port isolation. Can we get some idea on exactly what checking that box will mean to the port. Our basic setup at a tower location is some sort or Mikrotik router with a gigabit connection to the switch which is powering a number of AU's. We would like each AU port to only communicate with the uplink port to the router and not the others.

Thanks and keep up the good / honest work, it is appreciated!

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Documentation

Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:51 pm

I exlained it in a other post. From my test, isolation checked ports can't communicate between them but can communicate with none checked one.

You can't isolate by VLAN, the whole port is blocked.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:37 pm

First let me say thanks from all of us at Netonix!

And thanks Mike99 you have been helping out a good deal on here and obviously doing a little testing of new features!

We know that a good manual would be AWESOME and it is on my list of things to do and I will get to it soon I promise.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lweidig

Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:05 am

Thanks to both of you for the replies, they are appreciated. I did try to search for something before posting and must have missed the other one. Sorry about that, I think that should always be the first step in forums. While I appreciate the testing and appeared behavior it would still be nice to have something official with clear documentation.

So, if I turn this on for all my AP ports but not my uplink you are saying this should still allow them to all work, but stop communications from AP-AP direct?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 pm

That rights. Don't forget that all communication between CPEs on those APs won't be able to communicate between them. I'm planning to test ARP proxy to workaround this problem so layer 2 communication won't be passible (can't sniff traffic) but still be able to have a layer 3+ communcation possible between thoses like for gaming or camera.

Return to General Discussion