Cambium adapters? Maybe a business opportunity?

jpaine619

Cambium adapters? Maybe a business opportunity?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:44 am

Just wondering if Netonix (or anyone else for that matter) had considered producing adapters for some of the devices that require pin swapping?

I've just started to experiment with deploying Cambium radios (I've just had about enough of Ubiquiti's B.S.) and would be interested in a solution where I could simply slip an adapter in between a Cambium radio and the switch.

Maybe something that looks like this? https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Extension-Cable-iGreely-Extender/dp/B06Y46T8H9/

The main gist would be having something that doesn't require me to re-terminate cables that are currently pinned for Ubiquiti radios 'cause hey.. maybe this won't work, and then I'd have to re-terminate them all again to put them back. I'd probably be okay with a price point in the general area $10 each. Maybe even $20.. I haven't given that particular area a whole lot of thought.. Although I suspect that if it got to the point where I swapped all my Ubiquiti radios out, $20 would start to add up pretty fast.. but maybe it's still worth it.. Standard CPE installs are still going to require the industry standard pin-out since Cambium POEs are designed to work with a standard cable.. So I'd have to force myself to remember to use a different layout only on towers.

This "adapter" would have the correct pin swapping inside, and maybe even could be labeled for the device or class of devices it's pinned for.. Get the benefit of an easy swap out while avoiding any problems from a minor wire order screw up that ends up burning up a radio and maybe damaging my Netonix.

Any thoughts on this?

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Cambium adapters? Maybe a business opportunity?

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:08 pm

Like this
http://www.tycononline.com/POE-Crossove ... p_162.html

The unique POE-XOVER-S converts the output from a standard polarity PoE source to a reverse voltage output. Pins 4,5(-) and 7,8(+). Useful for devices that require a reverse PoE voltage such as Canopy. Works with standard PoE Switches, PoE inserters (including POE-INJ-S and POE-INJ-LED-S) and PoE midspan devices.

Omniflux
Experienced Member

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:52 pm

I use a pair of TyconPower POE-INJ-1000-WT and POE-INJ-1000-WTx to switch voltage around on pins when necessary. It's ugly, but it works if your device accepts power on all four pins.

POE-INJ-1000-WT to inject or extract when pins 1,2,4,5 are the same and POE-INJ-1000-WTx when pins 3,4,5,6 are the same.

For example:
POE-INJ-1000-WT/POE-INJ-1000-WT can switch from 1,2,4,5+ to 3,6,7,8+
POE-INJ-1000-WT/POE-INJ-1000-WTx can switch from 1,2,4,5+ to 3,4,5,6+ or 1,2,7,8+

Cost $16 + two patch cables and 6" of 2 pair wire.
Attachments
GigE PoE Polarity Change.png
POE-INJ-1000-WT and POE-INJ-1000-WTx to swap PoE pinout

jpaine619

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:35 am

Ha! Figures someone already invented it.

Return to General Discussion