First WS-24-400A switch....reset?

Ant

First WS-24-400A switch....reset?

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:42 pm

What's the easiest way to reset a WS-24-400A to defaults?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: First WS-24-400A switch....reset?

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:50 pm

Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Ant

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks Chris, I searched the terms default, reset, defaulted and was not finding anything.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:26 am

Hi Chris,

I know that you eventually would like a wiki reference manual...

But for now, the quick and dirty ...

Suppose that you add a third forum under WISP Switch named "Reference", and copy in ones like this factory reset you just linked to.

Make the Ref forum locked so that if we want to make a comment on the content, it needs to be put in the "General Discussion" forum.

Just a thought. :smile:

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:45 am

That's a great idea Joe, I will see if I can find time to do that this evening or this weekend. :agree:

The Associates have moderator and or Admin right depending on what they asked for so they can find posts that should be moved, copied or referenced there.

I also need to make a Forum that only Associates can see and gain entry with their decoder rings for our ultra secret click conversations.

By the way we are looking for Associates members which I need to get back onto as some people have asked to be one so I need to set up a thread where people can read what is required and how to apply.

Some perks for Associate Members:
They get some free equipment from time to time, often Pre-Release BETA stuff.
They get 10% OFF on the Netonix and 15% OFF on the RF Armor web store.
The will get SWAG once we finish them. - In slow motion progress.
Eventually we will have 2 gatherings per year somewhere in the US to meet and brainstorm on what new products or features should be next and of course all travel and food expenses paid.
Full Disclosure: Travel will be arranged by cheapest method including but not limited to mules or Ox Carts. Associates will be allowed only bread and water for food due to budget restrictions.

Some negatives:
Learn the products even feature you do not use.
Try and help other members when you have time.
Help find bugs because eventually only Associates will be able to get early firmware releases.

Side note way off OP topic:
I have been patiently waiting for this new stand alone airCONTROL or airCRM because just recently I had to log into 600+ radios to change passwords and I was very annoyed so if in the end it does not come we "will" make wispCONTROL (TM) and it will support as many manufacturers as possible.I love Ubiquiti but it has been how many years that we have been stuck with airCONTROL v1 and the number of devices we manage continues to grow. :pissed:

Next week I have to do it all again to change WPA2 keys :headb:
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Ant

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:12 am

This is a little off-topic, but Chris thanks for making a great switch! I really like the ease of configuration. I ran the UBNT tool and it even discovered the switch (1.2.0rc4) . I really like that feature because you never know what a previous person has done and the ability to discover a unit is priceless for us. One minor suggestion, what about a feature to reverse the polarity on the 24v ports to perform the radio reset ability? Most of the radios are going to be plugged into the switches instead of the power brick that comes with the units. Do you know if the reset works the same on the AC-PTP / AC-PTMP radios with the reverse polarity? If so then a reset in the gui on the switch would come in handy and future proof it.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:43 am

Ant wrote:This is a little off-topic, but Chris thanks for making a great switch! I really like the ease of configuration. I ran the UBNT tool and it even discovered the switch (1.2.0rc4) . I really like that feature because you never know what a previous person has done and the ability to discover a unit is priceless for us. One minor suggestion, what about a feature to reverse the polarity on the 24v ports to perform the radio reset ability? Most of the radios are going to be plugged into the switches instead of the power brick that comes with the units. Do you know if the reset works the same on the AC-PTP / AC-PTMP radios with the reverse polarity? If so then a reset in the gui on the switch would come in handy and future proof it.

THANK YOU FROM ALL OF US AT NETONIX!!!!

I think you want a UBNT factory default button in the UI for the port?

I can look into that but I do not think it is polarity reverse that triggers that but it could be?

A polarity reverse would require extensive hardware changes and be expensive and increase the size but would allow us to power Motorola/Cambium links -LOL

We have new firmware coming out tomorrow listed below.

By lunch time:
v1.1.1 with reported bug fixes from v1.1.0 and Eric also ported STP "Path Cost" back from v1.2.0rc4

By late afternoon:
v1.2.0rc5 with fixes for the discovered bugs to date in v1.2.0rc4 and v1.1.0.

Ant

Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:25 am

Ah ok never-mind on the reset idea. While it would be nice, the cost vs function couldn't be justified in my opinion.

I doubled check on the reverse polarity idea it seems the proper way is with a signal that has to be sent on the data pairs.

"The 24V 1A POE injector is available from Ubiquiti as accessory purchase.
How it works
By Pressing the Button on the 24V Poe injector, a 24V signal small current is introduce in the data pair for the Ethernet connector.
On the M series devices there is a circuit that detects this signal and triggers the Reset to Factory Defaults."

I remembered early on with the original m5 bullets the reverse polarity cheat worked but I guess they have redesigned the chips.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:39 pm

What Ant is saying is definitely true about them putting voltage on the orange and/or green data pairs for reset to defaults, and I agree even that would be a bit costly to justify.

But I don't remember which data pins and what polarity does that...

Which leads me to ask, would there be conflicts with that and the way the previous orange and green pairs are now powered with a 24VH setup?

For instance, it might mean that a mis-wired cable might be twice as likely to cause reset to defaults. Sure, it would be the users fault for mis-wiring, but they still might have an initial tendency to blame the switch.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:50 pm

That's a good point but I am not sure what we could do further then to spell it out in the manual, you know, that manual we have yet to make.

If it is just voltage to the data pairs not used in 10/100 (Orange and Green) then if the polarity is the standard pin outs and not reversed polarity one cold cause a factory default possibly by configuring 24VH on a port that supports that option with a 24V 10/100 airMAX radio on it?

I will have to LAB this today or over the next week and see what happens if you turn 24VH on a port that has a 24V 10/100 airMAX device.

Now obviously we do not use a MOSFET circuit to not inject DC negative on the pairs that normally carry DC negative so DC negative is always present on them. With that being said I have already powered 24V 10/100 airMAX gear on those special ports that are capable of 24VH & 48VH with no ill affects such as radios being defaulted.

Either way this topic warrants further investigation if for no other reason then curiosity. :agree:

Next
Return to General Discussion