AF24 Loses Ethernet

keefe007
Experienced Member

AF24 Loses Ethernet

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:41 pm

I have a AF24 connected to an 8-port Netonix. Over the weekend the AF24 started losing ethernet connectivity. If I reboot the airfiber it'll come back online for a few minutes and then drop off again.

Here's what i notice:

When the radio first boots up and it linked the cable diagnostics show:

Pair 1 Status
Ok

Pair 2 Status
Ok

Pair 3 Status
Ok

Pair 4 Status
Ok

After I lose ethernet the cable diagnostics show:

Pair 1 Status
Abnormal termination

Pair 2 Status
Abnormal termination

Pair 3 Status
Abnormal termination

Pair 4 Status
Abnormal termination

We've put new ends on the cable and still have the same problem. The cable is relatively new and it is a short run on a rooftop.

What could the problem be? Could the AF24 be bad?

Keefe

keefe007
Experienced Member

Re: AF24 Loses Ethernet

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm

I should mention that there's a second AF24 at this same site without problems.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 pm

Are both AF units powered by the same switch?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

keefe007
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes both are powered by the same switch.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:00 pm

To help with problem isolation, could you try running this second, trouble AF24 off of the POE brick that came with it?

Then if that works OK, swap the second AF24 back to WS POE and instead run the first original AF24 off of POE power?

Also, is it possible the second AF24 is just disabling its Ethernet because it thinks there is a layer2 loop somehow? In other words, does the other end of that second AF24 wireless link think the link is down at the same time which would confirm the power is actually off? (If you have access to the lights on the trouble AF24, that would be easier to tell.)
Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Defective Poly Fuses WS-8-250-AC Pre-Release Models

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:18 pm

Defective Poly Fuses in the [b]WS-8-250-AC Pre-Release Models (WHITE DECAL MODELS)[/b]

This issue can only possibly affect any of the less than 100 "PRE-RELEASE" WS-8-250-AC units we sold with the "WHITE" decals.

These units were from the small engineering test batch of 100 units we made for testing and certification. A lot of people wanted these and many people were bagging us to sell them samples so we decided to sell them before the thermal testing was done. Please keep in mind that this type of testing takes many many days of running the switches under different loads in a thermal chamber where we control the temperature and monitor the units constantly. - VERY BORING AND TIME CONSUMING!!!

It was "Recently" discover (last week) during the thermal testing that the Poly Fuses we had originally chose for the model WS-8-250-XX can "sometimes" prematurely POP at lower than expected board temperatures.

Before we released the NEW batch of WS-8-250-AC boards to production yesterday we change the Poly Fuses on the BOM to a different manufacturer that did pass the thermal testing at higher ambient temperatures then we rate the WS-8-250-AC for.

This issue only happens if you are powering TWO airFIBER units on both ports 1 and 2 so if you are only powering 1 airFIBER this does not happen.

It can happen more often at a lower ambient temperature if you are powering TWO airFIBER units on ports 1 & 2 and are also powering any POE device on port 3 as this cause the Poly Fuses for ports 1 & 2 to absorb more heat from the board from the extra heat generated from the Poly Fuse on port 3.

There are several options to work around the issue :
1) Make sure you are running v1.1.0 as this version runs the fans a little faster because of the thermal testing of the WS-8-250-XX and WS-12-250-XX.

1) If you are powering TWO airFIBER units on ports 1 & 2 while also powering any POE device on port 3 but have open ports move the POE device on port 3 to a higher port away from ports 1 & 2 which will cause less heat in that area of the board where the Poly Fuses are located for ports 1 & 2.

Anyone who experiences this issue with the Pre-Release Models with the WHITE stickers can do one of the following:
1) Return the switch for repair and we will replace the defective Poly Fuses with the new Poly Fuses that are being used in the current production models.

2) We will offer you 20% OFF a future purchase of any WISP Switch model of your choice "if" you experience this issue. This is an HONOR system as not all switches will experience this issue so we trust you to only ask for this discount if you experience the problem.

We are sorry for the issue but it has been addressed in the current production batch.

If you have any questions let me know or call me.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

JustJoe
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Wellll, you were sort of "bagging" us to buy them too. :wink:

Let's face it, we were, and are all wishing you great success with these because we really need them, even if having to hack them into DC models.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:59 pm

keefe007 wrote: Quick question...when the polyfuse blows why does it still show wattage on the port?

Well it is possible that this is NOT the issue I am describing. You may be having an issue with your airFIBER unit or something else?

If when you can not see the airFIBER unit the switch is still reporting 45+/- watts then the Poly Fuse did not trip.

Now if the board indicates half the wattage say 24+/- then it is possible ONE of the Poly Fuses on that port tripped remember 48VH ports use all 4 pair to deliver the power so each pair carries half the load (2 different Poly Fuses per port)

Also I was talking to Dave and I told him you told me the board temperature was showing around 40C and he told me this would indicate that this is not the Poly Fuse issue so I was wrong with what I told you earlier. The Poly Fuse issue should only happen when the board is over 60C.

But it is entirely possible that this problem is not the switch, guess you need to investigate it more. As I said only a small percentage of those WHITE sticker pre release switches will even exibit the problem. Like I said not all boards that were tested failed during the thermal chamber testing, only a few, some passed.

But at least if people do experience a problem similar they have all the facts to look for.
So in closing this "may" NOT be the defective Poly Fuse issue you are having but you can try the solution above or do as Joe suggested and turn POE OFF on that port and temporarily use the POE brick and see if the problem goes away.

You could very possibly have a failing airFIBER unit or some other problem entirely? - Happy hunting and you know my number if you want to bounce ideas off me.

keefe007
Experienced Member

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:08 pm

I think that may be what is happening...one polyfuse blowing. When this AF24 master is live it is using about 80 watts. When the ethernet link drops it goes to 40 watts.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:34 pm

keefe007 wrote:I think that may be what is happening...one polyfuse blowing. When this AF24 master is live it is using about 80 watts. When the ethernet link drops it goes to 40 watts.

80 Watts? :yikes:

Dude something is wrong with your airFIBER units or your cables or something?

I have 12 WISP Switches and 26 airFIBER radios and they all report between 47-50 Watts????

80 Watts is 1.6 AMPS which is over the rated port limit, we rate the ports at 1.2 AMPS with this switch model.

Your airFIBERS are drawing WAY TOO MUCH POWER, no wonder they are tripping the Poly Fuses!!!!!

Are you possibly using some sort of Wthernet surge protectors???? If so take them the heck out because maybe they are the reason your sucking so much power!!!

CLICK IMAGES BELOW TO SEE FULL SIZE
AF1.jpg
AF1.jpg (299.46 KiB) Viewed 18172 times

AF2.jpg
AF2.jpg (214.83 KiB) Viewed 18172 times

Next
Return to General Discussion