Associate

Re: DC input connectors on DC switches

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:17 am

Mmmm. True. Thanks.

LRL
Experienced Member

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:16 am

9v/240w=26.66amps Not that I know why anyone would intentionally let their batteries go that low...

I'm perfectly happy with the connector choice. It's just like a ton of other DC gear.
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

adairw
Associate
Associate

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:41 pm

I would have loved to see Anderson Powerpoles on the front! just sayin'! lol

Avant

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:23 pm

Another for Power Poles... With the amount of current flowing around our cabinets at 12 or 24 volts we want all metal covered up and a minimum of connections requiring screw drivers. We also want all connections obviously marked as to polarity with something to make it difficult to insert the incorrect way. I suggest it might be considered for products coming up...

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:32 pm

Avant wrote:Another for Power Poles... With the amount of current flowing around our cabinets at 12 or 24 volts we want all metal covered up and a minimum of connections requiring screw drivers. We also want all connections obviously marked as to polarity with something to make it difficult to insert the incorrect way. I suggest it might be considered for products coming up...

Red is POSITIVE
Black is NEGATIVE

Is this not clear enough and I am not being a smart ass either I am seriously asking?

The DC Terminals we are using are covered in Plastic as an insulator and do not require a screwdriver they are meant to be hand tightened.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:43 pm

LRL wrote:9v/240w=26.66amps Not that I know why anyone would intentionally let their batteries go that low...

The end user should NOT as a rule run their batteries this low, it takes a conscious decision to do so.

The idea of the design was to allow the DOD to be as far down as possible for in an EMERGENCY situation. If it is done frequently they will damage batteries for sure.

I mean we can simply HARD CODE this lower limit to say 12V which would also be low for a 48V site as that means the batteries are already at 3V each which is well below the recommended normal DOD cycle so do we hard code it to 40V which would be 10V per battery if using a 4 battery bank in series but then some guy wanting to run a 24V site is boned.

We could go on the assumption that this would be designed for 24V or 48V and hardcode it to 21V or 10.5V per battery but then the guy that has a "small" repeater site that is only running 2 airMAX radios and he only wants to run a 12V site is screwed.

So we designed this switch to be "versatile" and be able to support 9V to 60V input.

Allowing a user to run a single battery down to 9V whereas the normal DOD cycle depending on the battery manufacturer would be around 10.5V anyway allows the end user to in an EMERGENCY dip below that.

Now I can give all sorts of reasons why I personally might "chose" to run a site down to 9V in an EMERGENCY but you can figure that out by yourself.

If we did not give you the choice people would complain we limited them, but when we present them with the option if they chose they want to complain that we do not limit them?

You just can not win.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Previous
Return to General Discussion