New fan speed profiles on new firmware

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

New fan speed profiles on new firmware

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:23 pm

From what I am reading, even the older models with the slower capable fans get a speed-up when the new firmware is installed. Why would that be? I thought the firmware was supposed to detect the version and adjust the fan accordingly.

I have an older 24 port in a cool location on which the fan turns off shortly after it turns on. The noise of it turning on and off is more noticeable than if it were on all the time at a lower speed and it just ramp up when needed. I've been asking for this feature for a long time now. Laptop makers have had this "always on" feature for decades.

I've been contemplating replacing the fans with lower CFM versions for some time but now I wonder what this newest firmware will do with with replacement fans.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: New fan speed profiles on new firmware

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:19 pm

Because the way the fan code works it would be a lot harder to also change multiple things.

But we changed the board temps as well that cause the fans to run, now it starts at 45C instead of 40C.

There is a lot more here going on.

We also had to account for MIXED new and old fans with units with more than 1 fan and then it is MIXED mode and there is only ON or OFF for fans and we change ranges there.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:13 pm

lligetfa wrote:Laptop makers have had this "always on" feature for decades.

Trust me Les... they'll be always on after you update the firmware. Right around 4k RPM.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:36 pm

jakematic wrote:

Trust me Les... they'll be always on after you update the firmware. Right around 4k RPM.

Actually no, they are on LESS often

Old firmware turned fans ON "low speed" at 3K rpm at 40C board temp then OFF at 35C
New firmware turned fans ON "low speed" at 4K rpm at 45C board temp then OFF at 35C

So there is a chance the fans run less in temperature controlled areas indoors.

We had no choice here as the new fans will not run at 3K

Old fans used 100 Hz for modified pulse control and the new fans require 25 KHz.

Old fans are 4 magnetic pols verses the new fans are only 2 magnetic pols which is why they will not run at 3K, which has to do with magnetic field throw and torque and gets into physics here to explain more in detail.

I am very sorry about this but SUNON discontinued the old fan and claimed this was a direct replacement and it was not. We had to do what we had to do there was simply no way around it.

We are not happy with the situation any more than you guys are. We had to put many hours of coding and testing into this and sadly as we trusted SUNON when they said it was a drop in replacement we did not fully test it and shipped and are shipping thousands of units with v1.5.0 that does not properly drive the new fans.

v1.5.1rc12 with the new software was the best work around and as close to old scheme as we could get.

Since we build switches for the WISP industry 99% of our switches are installed in boxes where no one can even hear the fans.

Now if the switch detects both NEW and OLD in multi fan units it has no choice but to switch to ON or OFF mode which means the fans are either ON or OFF no modified pulse mode as we do not control each fans power individually so we can not talk in both 100 Hz and 25 KHz so it is either ON or OFF. In this case we come ON at 50C at 8K rpm.

We chose to move both NEW and OLD to same scheme so people would not ask why 1 switch the fans on low are faster.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

jakematic
Experienced Member

Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:47 pm

sirhc wrote:So there is a chance the fans run less in temperature controlled areas indoors.

I am very sorry about this but SUNON discontinued the old fan and claimed this was a direct replacement and it was not. We had to do what we had to do there was simply no way around it.

Since we build switches for the WISP industry 99% of our switches are installed in boxes where no one can even hear the fans.

Don't be sorry, it is what it is.

And you are correct. Les and I are edge cases here.
Plan is to try replacing the fan in the one in my office that's been running 24/7 for three days and driving me batshit crazy.
If that doesn't work I'll downgrade to rc8 until I replace it with a UBNT or Netgear.

Appreciate the effort you put into these. They work GREAT in all my other locations :thumbsup:

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:41 pm

jakematic wrote:

Fans turn up to around 4K but they turn off again. On and Off, over and over.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:10 pm

Watch your board temp and verify they are working as intended.

ON at 45C board Temp
OFF at 35C board Temp

Also make sure this is v1.5.1rc12

Return to General Discussion