Accessing Radio over LAG

mmurphy

Accessing Radio over LAG

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:33 am

Hi all,
we have two radio links on LAG for past two weeks and so far so good. however we can not access the radios while LAG is enabled. any ideas? hoping to avoid running new cables to the management ports. Using a WS-12-250-DC LACP-A, every thing else is default. Thanks

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Accessing Radio over LAG

Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:38 am

This makes no sense, please post the following TABs:

Ports, VLAN, LAG, Device/Config, and Status

See my post footer on instruction to upload pictures

Then explain where your computer connects to the network and what the IP of the computer is.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mmurphy

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:22 am

Apologies Sirhc, i did not see the option to add the attachments at the time, now i do. and should now be attached,

Site A has a Mikrotik router with IP 172.16.18.1, connecting to Netonix switch, the switch has ports 9 & 10 set up in LAG. the radios IP are 172.16.18.21 and 172.16.18.22.
Site B is similar, 172.16.18.23 and 172.16.18.24.

when the ports are removed from LAG i have no trouble accessing the radio links.

Vlans.JPG

status.JPG

LAG.JPG

config.JPG

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am

The firmware you're working with (v1.4.9) is OLD and there was a warning sent out almost a year ago telling people with SMART DC switches to upgrade to v1.5.0 as there is an issue with v1.4.9 and older firmware and the DC power plant. If this unit is not easy to access we had recommended doing the upgrade on site with a spare ready to go if needed. Also there are security updates in each firmware version. Since we run Linux and use open sources packages to run things like our UI/CLI and such these packages upgrade their code in their packages from time to time to patch security holes.

So your saying if you remove the LAG you can access the switch and everything works as intended but when you turn the LAG ON you can no longer access the switch but you can still access everything else connected to the switch?

Since your not using anything like VLANs or such and the switch config is straight forward I would guess your issue is with your router config?

I am not very familiar with MT routers so I can not help you there maybe someone else can. I know I am using LAGs all over the place in my WISP network but with Cisco routers and I have no issues. I also use LAGs between Netonix switches also with no issues.

I know there are a lot of MT users on here maybe one of them can help with checking that side of the config.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mmurphy

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks, i will raise the firmware upgrade immediately with my manager.
I may have confused the matter, accessing the switch is not an issue at any time, its accessing the radio links when LAG is enabled. so its , PC -> SiteA Mikrotik -> Netonix LAG-> radio1+radio2 --> Site B Radio 3+ radio 4 -> Netonix LAG-> Mikrotik

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 pm

mmurphy wrote:Thanks, i will raise the firmware upgrade immediately with my manager.
I may have confused the matter, accessing the switch is not an issue at any time, its accessing the radio links when LAG is enabled. so its , PC -> SiteA Mikrotik -> Netonix LAG-> radio1+radio2 --> Site B Radio 3+ radio 4 -> Netonix LAG-> Mikrotik

PC--MT==LAG==Netonix--radio1<>WIRELESS BRIDGE<>radio2--[Site B]--Radio3<>WIRELESS BRIDGE<>radio4--Netonix==LAG==MT

I still say this is a MT config issue as the switch is pretty straight forward and I can not help you with MT as I am not familiar with them.

Personally I would have LAB'd this before implementation to make sure all is sound and working. You could substitute wireless bridges with a cable.

OK Site A is a MT and Netonix.
What is Site B made up of?

Is Site B just a relay and the radios hooked back to back?

bayamon

Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:11 am

LACP is designed to work with transparent ethernet -or- fiber cables between the switches. It may not work if you try to pass between any active device (like a wireless bridge). In case that the LACP works, you may not be able to access the management webgui of the wireless bridge devices.

This is a limitation with the LACP protocol.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:40 pm

The idea of LACP is to load balance between 2 links.

How to access wireless bridge A if your flow pass through link B ?

I would try to use 2 differents management VLAN for each link and TAG it only it's related port.

Exemple,
link A management VID 100 connected to port 5 on each switch so you TAG 100 to router uplink and on port 5 of both swich
link B management VID 200 connected to port 6 on each switch so you TAG 200 to router uplink and on port 6 of both swich
DATA on management VID 300 TAGGED (or untag if you don't use CoS) on router uplink and on both port 5 and 6 of both switch.

I never tryed it so I'm not sure how it will work but that what I would try first.

Else, you can use radio with a second port for management the airfiber so 2 cables by radio, use out of band management and configure only the port up to airfiber DATA port in the LAG group.

Return to General Discussion