WS-8-250-AC

Torolan

Re: WS-8-250-AC

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:49 pm

We just deployed our 1st two WS-8-250-AC. Everything went great so far, just missing DHCP snooping. (which is coming next firmware). We even got the old moto gear on the tower powered up by making patch cables with blues and browns reversed. :hurray:

Only draw back that the field installer and I can see if you get the patch cables least bit out of wack or move them, bump them etc. the radio loses power from the POE port. :eek:

Once we got them in place and not moving the wiring around, they are working fine.

But in our small Hoffman boxes kinda hard to not move a wire, while working in the box.

Cleaned up the boxes very nicely Sweeping

Will keep you posted has we burn them in, some more in real world use.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:58 pm

Torolan wrote:Only draw back that the field installer and I can see if you get the patch cables least bit out of wack or move them, bump them etc. the radio loses power from the POE port. :eek:

You may need a new crimper or another brand or Crimp ends. They should not flake out once they click into place.

Examine them closely under a magnifier for crimping that is too deep.
macro-rj45.jpg
macro-rj45.jpg (43.15 KiB) Viewed 13865 times

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Yea I would look at a new crimper or look at your ends?

We have these at all our towers and they are not that touchy at all, you can "bump" the cables just fine?

We use RF Armor and or UBNT RJ45 ESD crimp ends as well as pre-made jumpers.

POST A PICTURE OF YOUR BOX!!!!
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Torolan

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Most of these are factory made patch cables, coming over from the lightning arrestors. Though we made up patch cables, for the stuff going to the Motorola gear.

I will get a picture of the Bigger box. The little one wasn't quite deep enough for the switch so its having to stand upright behind the UPS.

We pulled 6 POE's , 6 patch cables, and 3 Y adapter power strip liberators, out of the bigger box, so it is tons cleaner.

The little box removed 4 POE's and 4 patch cables.

adairw
Associate
Associate

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:42 pm

sirhc wrote:
adairw wrote:Sure. We are toying with the idea of two switches at sites, one for back haul and one for ap's. Don't always need tons of ports.

WHY?

Or are you saying you want one backhaul on one switch and another on another? Still why as if you lose 1 half of your network is down at that tower and you have to run.

Switches do not fail that often and I would just make sure you have a spare unit at your CO and back up the switch configs weekly that way you can swap one out in the event one fails.

People say they want dual power supplies but statistically unless you overload a power supply or run it at MAX they are not as common to fail as the electronics rather from ESD, HEAT or what have you.

With all our current sensors you are able to make sure you are not pushing your power supplies.

Why, because the way we run now if I lose a tower router the whole site is down. If I had all my backhauls on one switch and all my ap's on another I could lose the ap switch and the back hauls would keep going. Additionally if I lost the tower router I lose everything, but I could reconfigure some vlans and keep the down stream backhauls running from the next router up the line.

It's just an idea I've been rolling around so that not so many eggs are in one basket and we can attempt to recover faster with a back up plan.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

What we do for failures at towers

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:56 pm

Currently we have a Cisco 2951 router and WS-24-400A at each tower.

The Cisco is set up to store the config on the flash and we keep backups of the WISP Switches on our servers.
All routers are also setup to backup to a TFP server on any wr mem so if the flash card dies we have backups of the routers on our servers.

If a router dies we swap out with our spare identical router and swap the flash card.

If a WISP Switch was to die we upload the config to the replacement switch and swap out.

Time to swap either or both is under 30 minutes once we are on site.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:10 pm

Torolan wrote:Most of these are factory made patch cables...

About a decade ago, I was doing a desktop PC churn and started having issues with flakey network on most of them. The first thing I thought was that it was a driver issue and it was later that I started looking at the jumpers with suspicion. Turned out all the jumpers were from the same lot and I went through and tossed a few hundred of them. QC tolerances can creep in and it was only because the spring contacts on the new NICs were marginally larger gauge that the tolerance issue manifested.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:26 pm

lligetfa wrote:

About a decade ago, I was doing a desktop PC churn and started having issues with flakey network on most of them. The first thing I thought was that it was a driver issue and it was later that I started looking at the jumpers with suspicion. Turned out all the jumpers were from the same lot and I went through and tossed a few hundred of them. QC tolerances can creep in and it was only because the spring contacts on the new NICs were marginally larger gauge that the tolerance issue manifested.

Yea we had a lot of jumpers at the Diller Ave Tank that if you bumped them they might not link up.

And this was when we had 3 TOUGHSwitches not a WISP Switch at the tank.

They were CAT6 jumpers, replaced them with cheaper CAT5e and the problem went away.

ralliart12

Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:19 am

May I know the dead weight, as well as the dimensions that this model arrives in (inclusive of all its shipping packaging)?

Torolan

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:43 pm

sirhc wrote:
lligetfa wrote:

Yea we had a lot of jumpers at the Diller Ave Tank that if you bumped them they might not link up.

And this was when we had 3 TOUGHSwitches not a WISP Switch at the tank.

They were CAT6 jumpers, replaced them with cheaper CAT5e and the problem went away.

Yeah It was super cold yesterday as well, so I think that posed issues with it as well. I think it is how are patch cables are in in the boxes. I need a warmer day to redo the boxes and the time to take it down for 30 minutes to an hour, and we will rerun new patch cables over to the new switches. I will send you pics when we get them all dressed up.

We did these change overs to the new switches in 5 to 10 minutes, when it was 14 degrees out side. Which included us ripping out all the old POE's, with as little down time as possible since these were live in use towers.

So far running 24 hours with no issues.

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion