Broadcast Storm control

winther99

Broadcast Storm control

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:38 pm

Hi!

I just unboxed our first Netonix switch WS-12-250A, firmware 1.1.0rc18

So I found the Storm control settings, would it be possible for Netonix to add a guide explaning recommended storm control parameter settings and elaborate how it detect and handle storms?

Will the local log, remote log and SNMP report storm alarms out of the box/by default once k-bytes are set for Unicast,Multicast and Broadcast?

Thanks

winther99

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Broadcast Storm control

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:49 pm

A manual is forth coming after we get a stable version with all the features. It looks like that will be v1.1.0

With that said we tried real hard to make the UI as simple and easy to understand as possible.

As far as Storm control it acts and drives pretty much as you see it.

You have 3 type of packets that you can limit
Broadcast
Multicast
Unicast

You can select how many packets per second the switch will accept of any of those 3 packet type on ingress.
When the limit is reach it will refuse or drop those types of packets on ingress to the switch above the specified rate.

Actually I am not sure if the event is recorded in the log, I will ask Eric but I doubt it.
It is obtainable from SNMP I think so your monitoring software can send you an alert.

Based on people's feedback and requests will determine if we include internal monitoring and alerting via SMTP possibly in future firmware releases.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

winther99

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:42 pm

Hi thanks for your reply.
I would like to suggest you add broadcast alarm via SMTP/email once thats inplemented.
Also, please recommend broadcast storm setting for a general alarm level on all 3 types of traffic
Thanks.

mike@pcinv.com

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:14 pm

I have looked, but not found a "safe setting" or even a recommended setting for the 3 types of "Storm Control" What are safe settings for, I don't know, say 200 users on one switch? Thanks guys! Love the switch.

Return to General Discussion