Backup Restore for WS-8-150-AC

byates

Backup Restore for WS-8-150-AC

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:03 pm

I just received my WS-8-150-AC from repair. I am trying to restore it from a backup file made by another switch (same model). I go to utilities in the UI and select restore and select the file. It just sits there not doing anything. Ive given it about 20 minutes and the same default config is still there. It has firmware version 1.5.0. I also tried on another switch i have (same model) and it shows the same symptoms. What am i doing wrong?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Re: Backup Restore for WS-8-150-AC

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:52 pm

Just tried this on my switch locally and it seemed to work OK.

Can you post up the logs right after attempting to apply a config?

byates

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 am

Stephen,

I try to upload the config and nothing happens. I cleared the logs this time before I attempted a restore and now nothing is showing up. Neither in the Switch logs or the Linux logs. I would imagine this should be a pretty quick procedure since the config file is only 25kb.

FYI, this unit is back straight from Netonix from being repaired. Same thing is happening to a brand new unit.

When i upload the config, the TX and RX pps jump so it seems like something happens just doesnt get applied

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm

I'm wondering, when you made the backup, was it on a different version of firmware?
Usually when we do an update, it won't cause issue's on something like this, but every now and then certain bug fixes or feature addition's can change the content's of the config file which can make them non-compatible for certain updates.

Would you mind sending me the config file in a private message so I can try it myself?

I might be able to check for any parts that might be missing or have changed since then and send you back a working one for 1.5.0

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:43 pm

Or the config on the radio is corrupted, so when you export it the corruption goes with it and pukes on the import.

Do a power on factory default of the units and manually set them back up as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=409#p2398
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

byates

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 pm

Stephen wrote:I'm wondering, when you made the backup, was it on a different version of firmware?
Usually when we do an update, it won't cause issue's on something like this, but every now and then certain bug fixes or feature addition's can change the content's of the config file which can make them non-compatible for certain updates.

Would you mind sending me the config file in a private message so I can try it myself?

I might be able to check for any parts that might be missing or have changed since then and send you back a working one for 1.5.0

The one I made a config from was firmware 1.5. The switch i tried to restore was at 1.49 i think. So it would have went from firmware 1.5 to 1.49

I sent you the config in a pm. Thanks

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:39 pm

So quick thought, the restoration actually did work for me with no issue's.

I didn't realize the switch was behind though. I would strongly suggest updating that switch to 1.5.0 and it should restore with this config without any trouble.

byates

Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:04 pm

Stephen, that did the trick. I was able to restore it to the config. When looking at the config, how can you tell the version it came from? Is it the line that says "Config Version : " or is that just the revision number of the changes made to the switch?

Stephen
Employee
Employee

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Unfortunately, there is not a perfect method that is human readable in there for that, the closest option would be the "Config_Version" at the beginning of the .ncfg file - my suggestion is to just rename the file when it downloads and append the firmware version you got it from so you don't forget (that's what I do).

JohnWall

Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm trying to backup a WS-26-500-DC and restore it on a new WS-26-500-DC. I have several backups in case of corruptions yet nothing happens. I select a backup, the Save/Apply does not light up and the message just says device IP has changed and reboots in 40 seconds. I tried changing to IP from 192.168.1.20 to the same as the backup without success.

Firmware of old device is 1.5.1rc7. The new switch is 1.5.4

I have several switches which I need to do the same thing and backup and restore just makes sure they are identical.

John

Next
Return to General Discussion