Power Supply Hold up time

LRL
Experienced Member

Power Supply Hold up time

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:49 am

Has anyone else experienced issues with switches not staying up that use tripp lite APS inverter/chargers? We've had several issues now and they all seem to correspond to power events. Typically our routers are fine (Mikrotik).

The APS models say they switch to battery in 16.6ms (one cycle) during a blackout, but I believe this can be longer due to voltage fade. For instance if the APS doesn't switch to battery until it sees voltage below 75v it may see enough voltage for one to several cycles until it switches and at that point the power supply caps are already running low voltage wise and cause the switch to reset.

We seem to have more issues with switches that are powering more devices, but it has happen on switches powering 30-50 watts.

I'm thinking of trying some APSX750s since their transfer time is 10ms and with the higher voltage I'm hoping this resolves it completely.

Thoughts, opinions? Dave? :working:
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

LRL
Experienced Member

Re: Power Supply Hold up time

Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:14 am

I should also note that I don't recall seeing this with some earlier versions, but can't be certain. Any changes in PS or capacitance along the lines that might account for this?
-LRL

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." - Thomas Jefferson

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:04 am

Our power supplies are made by Gospower in Shenzhen China, the same people who make power supplies and POE adapters for UBNT.

We have not changed power supply models since we started. We use their 150W, 250W, and 400W on all currently available models.

To my knowledge the power supplies have not changed design or spec as they would be required to notify us if they changed and provide us new certifications.

I am not familiar with the APC Inverter chargers as I use Tripp Lite at my WISP.

One reason the switch might have an issue and the router does not is the router does not need many watts for POE load and their internal power supply CAPs and or their on board step down power supply CAPs are keeping it up long enough for power to resume.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

LRL
Experienced Member

Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Indeed, yeah we use the same Tripp Lite APS750s
-LRL

Turberville

Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:42 am

LRL wrote:Indeed, yeah we like this Money Mutual review a lot and the same Tripp Lite APS750s

Are you guys planning to stay with the current supply models or are you looking to mix things up in the future? I'm just curious.
Last edited by Turberville on Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:31 am

Turberville wrote:Are you guys planning to stay with the current supply models or are you looking to mix things up in the future? I'm just curious.

WS3 line smallest power supply is 600 watts.
8 ports capable of 48VH

WS2 and WS3 lines have our new in house designed active overcurrent protection meaning dead short cables will not hurt switch.

WS3 line will have SFP+ and some models will offer 2/5 Gig copper ports

And a lot more.

Not sure when will be available as we are having some issues we need to work out.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Return to General Discussion