Not all factory defaults are created equally

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Not all factory defaults are created equally

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:29 pm

There are 4 ways to factory default our switches listed below, not all are the same.
The blue ones all achieve the same end result but the red one is different.
Most embedded devices running Linux behave the same way.

Web UI - Click Utilities/Default
This erases not formats the writable JFFS2 partition on the flash and generates a new config file.
This does not fix errors on the partition like bad blocks.

CLI - type "reload defaults"
This erases not formats the writable JFFS2 partition on the flash and generates a new config file.

Press the factory default button with a paper clip when the switch is already on and hold

This way produces a cool light show where all the port LEDs turn green in a loop and then they loop around red while you are pressing and holding the default button.

If you release the button right after the green loop the switch just reboots.

If you release the button right after the red loop the switch erases the JFFS2 partition and recreates the config with the defaults.

Press the factory default button and hold for 20 seconds when powering up
This feature reformats the writable partition where the config is stored then recreates a new config with the default, this process is actually handled but the boot loader. If you ever see an error or warning on the console during initial boot or in the Linux system log about the JFFS2 filesystem such as a checksum issue this is the only way to correct that issue. Now the JFFS2 file system is pretty resilient and even if it gets corrupted 99.9% of the time you would never have an issue but if you really want the error message to go away you have to do this type of factory default, just remember to backup your config or write it down first as with any factory default your config is lost!

WHEN PREFORMING THIS DEFAULT YOU MUST LET THE SWITCH SIT FOR SEVERAL MINUTES
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

soundwavz

Re: Not all factory defaults are created equally

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:58 pm

where is the factory default button the ws6poe?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:13 pm

soundwavz wrote:where is the factory default button the ws6poe?

Little round hole back of unit where the barrel connector is
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

bpnz

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 pm

If you do the full factory reset for the 20 seconds when powering up, is there any indication it's ok.. I've just done it on one of my spare switches, and if you do a normal reset after it's powered on the lights cycle green then red, however on the full factory nothing seems to happen?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:18 am

bpnz wrote:If you do the full factory reset for the 20 seconds when powering up, is there any indication it's ok.. I've just done it on one of my spare switches, and if you do a normal reset after it's powered on the lights cycle green then red, however on the full factory nothing seems to happen?

Of you do the default button at power up you need to let it set for several minutes as it is formatting the flash else you will brick it.

If this model has a serial console cable maybe hook up a console cable and see what it doing.

bpnz

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 am

Will test that with a serial cable and see what’s happening.. I ended up trying it on three switches and yep definitely let them sit for 10 mins or so before touching them again..

I just wanted to make sure the switches were 100% factory as I was looking into an issue when restoring config files to different model switches (will post a seperate topic about this once I’ve finished looking into it..)

Return to General Discussion