QoS per port

joeyr-stc

QoS per port

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:45 pm

What is the best way to apply a QoS rule to a particular port, regardless of type of traffic?
(Basically I'm trying to assign each port its own queue).

Currently I am using Type: EtherType with Value: 0x0800.
However, when I look at port details for the "Receive Queue Counters" & "Transmit Queue Counters" it only shows data for Q0.
Joey Robertson
STC
Mobile, AL

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: QoS per port

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Ethertype 0800 will match IPv4 protocol so most of you traffic.

You could use VLAN ID with a different VLAN by port. I personnaly think that would be the easiest way to acheive what you want to do but anyway, why a different queue by port ? I really don't see how it usefull.

Edit: just saw you can do it by port so your configuring something like
port 1 ethertype 0800 = Q1
port 2 ethertype 0800 = Q2
etc ?

joeyr-stc

Re: QoS per port

Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 pm

I tried with EtherType but that didn't seem to work (according the port details). Of course my test was to only run a speedtest.
I tried it with VLAN ID as well and that seems to work.

To answer your question about why queuing by port...
We are not using these switches in the typical, WISP, environment.
We are a tele-communications company and we often go into a business and have to share their ISP (usually fiber). In the past our techs would simply but a simple 5-port switch after the fiber hand-off and use the switch to connect one port to our router to get our static IP and another port to the customer to use their static IP. Then we would have to tell their IT people to limit their BW so it would not interfere with our phone traffic. Well, as personnel changed or hardware was upgraded, we had no guarantee that they were doing what we needed. SO... I decided to use the Netonix switch in place of the simple 5-port switch because it had great TX & RX limiting features. That way I can limit what each port is capable of achieving, therefore guaranteeing they did not eat all the BW for my phones (kind of a poor mans QoS). However, since that doesn't guarantee QoS they could still flood the entire circuit and cause problems for our phones. That is why I want to assign each port it's own queue. That way the hand-off to the customer's router can be in a lower queue than the hand-off to my router, thus insuring that our traffic is always prioritized over theirs. At least that's the plan.
Joey Robertson
STC
Mobile, AL

Return to General Discussion