QinQ Untagging Double VLANs

schat

QinQ Untagging Double VLANs

Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Hello, I'm trying to set up a vlan config as follows. My upstream requires using vlan 119 tagged out port 4. I would like to have ports on the switch separated in their own vlans that are then trunked into vlan 119. In the picture, the T on port 4 for vlan 31 and 32 should be double tagged with vlan 119 on the outside. I've tried every combination that I can think of and haven't been able to make it work. I've reviewed all the relevant posts on the forum and I am at a loss. I have this configuration working with two Mikrotik devices. Is this kind of thing possible with Netonix?

I'm running 1.5.0 on a WS-12-250-DC

To summarize, I'm looking to take different untagged ports and double tag them individually out another port. Thank you in advance.

Edit: To clarify, I need QinQ, not Double Tag
Attachments
SwitchVLAN.PNG
Last edited by schat on Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petecarlson
Experienced Member

Re: QinQ Untagging Double VLANs

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:09 pm

1) Do you want a double tag? i.e a 0x8100 tag inside of a 0x8100 tag? That would be the D option.

2) Or do you want a QinQ tag? i.e a 0x8100 tag inside of a 0x81a8 tag? That would be the Q option.

3) This switch can't add two tags. Tagged traffic that ingresses a Q or D port will have the respective tag added. It can then egress the switch on any T port for that vlan.

Example. Port 1 T119. Port 2 D 119. Packets tagged on any vlan, i.e 31 and 32, that enter port 2 will have a second 0x8100 tag added to them and they will egress out port 1 with the outside tag and the inside tag. (Change port 2 to Q if thats the outside tag you want).

schat

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:33 pm

I need a QinQ tag. In my picture, traffic coming in port 7 is untagged, I need that traffic leaving port 4 with QinQ 119 on outer and 31 on inner.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:05 pm

schat wrote:I need a QinQ tag. In my picture, traffic coming in port 7 is untagged, I need that traffic leaving port 4 with QinQ 119 on outer and 31 on inner.

That's not how it works.

In your picture/screen grab above a packet coming in port 7 Untagged would leave port 4 Tagged VLAN ID 31.

Even if you put a Q on port 4 instead if T but had a U on Port 7 it would not work that way.

http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... inQ#p18225

http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... ged#p24872

https://www.google.com/search?q=vlan+do ... e&ie=UTF-8
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

schat

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Okay, I gather that what I'm trying to do is not possible on this switch. Is that correct?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:23 pm

schat wrote:Okay, I gather that what I'm trying to do is not possible on this switch. Is that correct?

From what I understand you want to do is not possible with any Layer 2 switch

VLAN is an IEEE Standard called 802.1Q, we follow the standard

We also do QinQ which is also an IEEE Standard called 802.1ad
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:39 am

It's possible to double tag a port with several switch but can't currently be done on Netonix. It's ether a S-VLAN or C-VLAN, not both.

If I understand well, you could simple use Q with VID 119 and remove other config. Any VLAN including 31 and 32 would be allow and encapsulated with QinQ VID 119. A schema would help better with other device and for what is use VID31 and VID32.

@Chris, what he ask follow standard, he would like to use both 802.1Q and 802.1ad at the same time on port 4 so
VID 31 & VID32 tagged (allowed) with 802.1Q standard and on the same port and immediatly after, add QinQ VID 119 with 802.1ad standard.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:51 am

Maybe an easy way to configure it out would be for QinQ to beavior (in GUI) like a trunk so, choose which vlan are allowed inside the QinQ. Would just need to choose if a port is native (untage) and, if yes, witch one. Anyway, it don't really make sense to mix Tagged VLAN with QinQ (like currently done on GUI) since a QinQ should just encapsulate every allowed VLAN on the port with the S-VLAN.

schat

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm

mike99 wrote:
@Chris, what he ask follow standard, he would like to use both 802.1Q and 802.1ad at the same time on port 4 so
VID 31 & VID32 tagged (allowed) with 802.1Q standard and on the same port and immediatly after, add QinQ VID 119 with 802.1ad standard.

Yes, this

My use case is this; I have a remote site with a fiber connection. Over that fiber peering, I must use a vlan for that site to differentiate other sites on that fiber network. At the site, I have customers with direct CAT5 connections as well as wireless equipment for use in our network. I would like to be able to connect those customers and the fiber backbone directly to a Netonix and have that be the only piece of equipment needed.

By the way, I love the Netonix products and use them extensively all over our network. They really have been great!

schat

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Can someone confirm that I cannot do this config with the current software of this switch?

Next
Return to General Discussion