Netonix manager - Annul from switch

Charlie

Netonix manager - Annul from switch

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:39 pm

I am about to download netonix manager but will need to uninstall and reinstall it in a months time as a result of a major network design change happening later.

I also see there is a point about not installing it so the switch talks to two different manager instances as "very bad things will happen"

Therefore I ask what is the correct process to annul a switch so that same switch can be adopted by a different instance of the netonix manager software?

Is there a way to annul the switch from the master using the switch gui only? Eg in the case of the master no longer being avaliable without a full switch reset?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Netonix manager - Annul from switch

Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:54 pm

I am not sure what your asking?

But never have 2 managers try and monitor the same switch....BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Probably just remove the switch from the first controller before adding it to the second controller.

Charlie

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm

The best example I can think of would be
1) A switch is adopted by an instance of the controller software and is being managed by it.
2) The hard drive in the controller fails and there is no backup
3) We install a new instance of the controller on a new server which happens to have a new ip address
4) How do we tell the switch to stop attempting to report to the old controller and prevent bad things happening?

lligetfa
Associate
Associate

Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:31 pm

I don't think the switch pushes unsolicited data but rather the manager solicits data from the switch. So if the old manager dies, it no longer asks the switch for data.

mike99
Associate
Associate

Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:14 pm

Pretty sure lligetfa is right. Eric is the one that should confirm but I think that once you enter ssh information on controller, the controller access the switch through ssh, something like ssh-pass since user and password is needed. It's don't seem to be like TR-069 or SNMP trap that the client send informations to the server.

Eric Stern
Employee
Employee

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

What you don't want to do is have two instances of Netonix Manager monitoring the same switch at the same time. When Manager queries the switch is causes some CPU usage, and the switch can easily handle 1 Manager but 2 or more Manager's is a little much for it. Its probably not as big a deal after the CPU usage improvements we implemented recently but its still not a good idea.

Return to General Discussion