Aquired WISP / FLATNESS

srysewyk

Aquired WISP / FLATNESS

Thu May 10, 2018 12:30 pm

Question for the community:

I have acquired a very small wisp (60 clients).. The network is mostly flat with a couple of static routes to a secondary site. Bridges etc everything are on same network space. All network space is RFC1918, with NAT Xlats for those that want 'static ip's'

CPE equipment is UBNT and Mimosa and all controlled by the WISP.

I have a plan to start cleaning this up, segmenting routing etc.. Doing mid span powering on netonix gear with transit networks.

I have access to used 2921 routers, and I believe that should be able to up to an AF for routing as it is just IP and no services like VPN etc.. Another friend recommended using CAT 3750 for routing.

My bigger question is how big is too big (client wise) for a network space for CPE's to live?

Also.. Just read SirHC's points on flow control which twisted my thinking on how this works as far as the RF point of view. Being a wired network guy until now, I see where other factors need to be considered.

FYI.. I think I can grow this to about 500 clients so I want to design this thing up before adding anyone as the the performance 3x hops out is not ideal.

I apologize if this question\topic is not in the right area.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: Aquired WISP / FLATNESS

Thu May 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

srysewyk

Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 pm

BAM! Good no GREAT stuff here

So you use 2951's with no issues? I"m wondering why my friend is hating on them (29xx's) so much.

I believe the 2921's have the same processor as the 51, in either case the it will be better than the mikrotik 2011's as I cannot even max out a speed test on the AF from the 2011.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Thu May 10, 2018 1:11 pm

srysewyk wrote:BAM! Good no GREAT stuff here

So you use 2951's with no issues? I"m wondering why my friend is hating on them (29xx's) so much.

I believe the 2921's have the same processor as the 51, in either case the it will be better than the mikrotik 2011's as I cannot even max out a speed test on the AF from the 2011.

We used to use 2921, good router, upgraded to 2951 for more 1G ports (expansion cards) as we have so many back hauls intr hooking towers with OSPF/BFD
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

srysewyk

Thu May 10, 2018 2:30 pm

sirhc wrote:
We used to use 2921, good router, upgraded to 2951 for more 1G ports (expansion cards) as we have so many back hauls intr hooking towers with OSPF/BFD

Thank you for confirming

Return to General Discussion