POE power down AND time of day

scracha

POE power down AND time of day

Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi Guys,

Feature request for enhancement for the POE power down / up options.

It would be good to have an option where POE ports only powered down between certain hours IF the input voltage is below a certain threshold.

e.g.

Power down if Voltage <= 24.2V. Always power down between 1am and 6am regardless (current setup)
Sector N : 24V POE: Power Down 24.2V : Power Up 24.4V : AND [ ] : Shutdown Time 1am: Startup Time 6am:

Power down if Voltage <= 24.2V and it's between 1am and 6am
Sector N : 24V POE: Power Down 24.2V : Power Up 24.4V : AND [X] : Shutdown Time 1am: Startup Time 6am:

Power down if voltage <= 24.2V
Sector N : 24V POE: Power Down 24.2V : Power Up 24.4V : AND [ ] : Shutdown Time : Startup Time :

Would be further enhanced if there were separate voltage thresholds for the shutdown times as in the above example I'd probably like it to disable POE between 1am and 6am if the voltage was below 24.5V, otherwise I wouldn't want it to disable POE (at other times) until the voltage was down to 24.2V.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Re: POE power down AND time of day

Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:23 pm

Currently you can specify a port powers down and up on 2 different events:
1) if input voltage drops below a specified level it turns off and back on if the input voltage rises above a specified voltage.

2) Power down and up at a specified time so long as the port voltage range is specified is not already in play.

So for example you can specify on the Power TAB that a port powers down if input voltage drops below 11V but powers back up if input voltage rises above 12V but also powers down from 1A until 6AM regardless so long as the input voltage is above 12V.

The problem is that even if we added another metric someone would want another metric and then another metric until someday you are turning POE off if the moons of Jupiter are aligned with Saturn's 3rd moon and there is a blood moon on the northern hemisphere of Earth during December.
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

scracha

Re: POE power down AND time of day

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi SirHC,

Thanks for that explanation and it ties in with my testing results.

However, as a WISP operator...honestly this is quite valid and not some obscure request. I can appreciate it complicates the GUI but it's not terribly difficult logic to code.

I've got 28 Netonix's out there (we've got another 31 sites to convert) and all but 4 of them are on solar sites (and even on the powered sites we normally run DC netonix with battery backup as remote sites get a LOT of power cuts). If solar panels are covered in Snow or there are multiple dark days then customers are understanding and not too annoyed if there's no Internet in the early hours. Therefore if we can't gain access to the site with fresh batteries or chargers we switch off certain radios. I know at least 2 other WISPs who do similar. Example in attachment, we had to switch off radios on 15th - 17th to keep site up until we could do emergency repairs on the 18th
manga_voltage.png

1) It's good that with Netonix I can get SNMP alerts when voltages on a site are low.
2) It's good that I can then log in and schedule shutdown/startup times on radios to prolong the working time of the site (certainly beats setting alarm for 1am and 6.30am and doing it manually).
It would be better if step 2 could be automated as a result of step 1.

Other alternative would be an API or SSH access so NMS systems like librenms or the Dude could do this?

Return to General Discussion