Two Switches on the same roof VLAN connected

f.cucci@el-com.it

Two Switches on the same roof VLAN connected

Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:03 am

Hi All,

we are doing a new wisp site like diagram attachment; at first we was thinking to connect the the wisp switch with only one fiber optic cable and separate PtP and AP traffic with vlans. After that we read and remember that we could have problems with pause frames! So we decide to separate PtP and AP traffic on 2 different F.O. and inside those separate traffic with vlans.

The question is , can this configuration be usefull and full functional for us or we have to connect each PtP in midspan to phisically separate the traffic ?

Thank you in advance.

Francesco.
Attachments
BR16-Diagram.jpg

mike99
Associate
Associate

Re: Two Switches on the same roof VLAN connected

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:03 am

Separate what from what ? Where the router ? What is the WS-12-AC use for ?

If no router, disable flow control. If router on remote site, please make a diagram including other site.

f.cucci@el-com.it

Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:56 am

Sorry,

now I have added the router; we are on the same site (roof) but we have 2 mast, one on one side and one on other side of the roof; on one mast we have 2 AP and 2 PtP with one WS6 and on the other side we have the WS12-DC, RB1100AHx2 and the ePMP2000 sector. If we connect 2 f.o. from ws6 to ws12 we would separate traffic of the APs and the PtP.

The question is the same, can be a useful setup or we have to use more than two f.o. connection to have a midspan for each PtP ?

Thank you.
Attachments
BR16-Diagram.jpg

f.cucci@el-com.it

Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:52 am

Anyone??

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:16 am

I would separate the AP and backhaul traffic as in picture below.

But I already show this in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=452#p2961

And in fact there is a link in that thread to a 1.5 hour video tour of my WISP and I talk about this very question if you watch the movie.

To be honest I separate each backhaul from anything else with a midspan to a router port to insure no backhaul can affect the next backhaul, traffic coming into and out of tower. But depends on how much traffic your passing.

Watch my video.

ms.png
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

Mia Grown

Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:23 am

1. Connect AP to Controller
Connect your new AP into the controller in a same VLAN. If the VLAN is not the same, set the IP for controller as follows:
lwapp ap controller ip add 172.16.30.253
Or, create an A record in the internal DNS server:
CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER 172.16.30.253
A brand-new AP is connected to any VLAN, as long as it can obtain an IP address, it can automatically join the controller.
2. Create Interface in the controller
Controller-->Interface: click New to add an interface. Enter the name and VLAN ID.The reason why traffic cannot be forwarded across dedicated lines is the VLAN ID. The VLAN of the main factory, to the other end of the dedicated line, is a different VLAN ID. If it is a single router environment, it is VLAN 1.
Next is to create interface details.
Port Number refers to the management port of the controller. Fill in the corresponding VLAN ID, IP, NET MASK, Gateway, and DHCP Server information.

3.Establishes a WLAN SSID in the controller
WLANs --> NEW, add SSID. After the establishment, enter the editing interface,
Check the Status switch to enable. Interface/Interface Group selects the newly created Interface.
4.Specify the AP to broadcast only the specified SSID
WLANs --> Advanced --> AP groups, add AP group, add the specified AP to this group, and add the specified SSID.

5. Controller upstream switch port setting
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
Switchport trunk native VLAN 100 (Note: VLAN100 is the management IP of this controller)
Switchport mode trunk

Return to General Discussion