WS-26-500-DC REBOOT ISSUE EXPLAINED

intellipop

Re: WS-26-500-DC REBOOT ISSUE EXPLAINED

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:10 pm

Chris,

We have a site where we have corrected the I2c cable per your instructions and were still seeing both rebooting and i2c errors.

Looking at the status page it flashes error for CPU temp and Board Temp. Are we going to be asked to RMA this one too?

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Still waiting on the 2 units you received RMA #s for on 7/9/2018 ?
Support is handled on the Forums not in Emails and PMs.
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To do an Advanced Search click the magnifying glass in the Search Box.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

intellipop

Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:40 pm

Yeah... I believe it's been shipped. If I recall correctly only one of the two were sent. I think a full reload of one has made it work again with the PSU bypassed.

freedomwifi

Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:51 am

Chris,

I am seeing every switch running anything over 1.4.9 doing the same thing. WS-6-Mini's, WS-12-250-AC'S AND DC'S. Please let me know what information you may need to diagnose further.

Thanks,

Chad

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:43 am

freedomwifi wrote:Chris,

I am seeing every switch running anything over 1.4.9 doing the same thing. WS-6-Mini's, WS-12-250-AC'S AND DC'S. Please let me know what information you may need to diagnose further.

Thanks,

Chad

Well first off what version are you running?

You should be running v1.5.0 (especially for WS-12-250-DC and WS-26-500-DC) or v1.5.1rc2 if a WS-8-150-DC to fix a reported issue with the WS-8-150-DC (see release notes)

Also you want to be running v1.5.0 or newer to help fix an issue where a packet storm from a loop can cause a reboot of the switch.

Have you made any recent changes such as upgrading or adding radios to these switch?

Some WS-6-MINI and WS-8-150-AC units manufactured over 18 months ago had a chance of a defective 3.3V CAP issue that can cause reboots. Described in this post: http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php? ... nty#p18176

Over 18 months ago there was a batch of WS-12-250-AC units that had a defect cap in their power supply explained here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3308&p=21920&hilit=+CAP+reboot#p21920

Here is how you bench test a switch and there is a test in there to check for the 3.3V CAP issue and the C51 power supply issue.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2780&p=19221#p19221
Before you ask a question use the Search function to see it has been answered before.
To upload pictures click the Upload attachment link below the BLUE SUBMIT BUTTON.

freedomwifi

Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:25 am

was running 1.5.1rc2 on all affected switches, now running 1.49 and issue have stopped all together.

I received a shipment of switches from you on Wednesday of which I installed three of them with 1.5.1rc2 and all three are doing the same thing so I'm guessing they are new enough to not be affected by the 3.3V CAP issue?

As far as upgrades or adding anything to the switch goes I have not made any changes at all accept in going from AC to DC or DC to AC depending on the situation. Basically changing to the most appropriate backup type depending on the location. (generator or no generator backup on site.)

Most of my sites were running 1.49 or lower and have not had any reboot issues that I could find.

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:58 am

freedomwifi wrote:I received a shipment of switches from you on Wednesday of which I installed three of them with 1.5.1rc2 and all three are doing the same thing so I'm guessing they are new enough to not be affected by the 3.3V CAP issue?

Correct, any WS-6-MINI and WS-8-150-AC switch made in the last 18 month is not even possible to have that issue as the CAPs and circuit design was changed to prevent that from ever happening. There is a date of MFG on the box but average longest time through our channel is about 2-3. So all "new" switches with 3.3V CAP issue has not been available for sale for at least 15 months.

The only models even susceptible to the 3.3V CAP was the WS-6-MINI and WS-8-150-AC.

freedomwifi wrote:Most of my sites were running 1.4.9 or lower and have not had any reboot issues that I could find.

All I can tell you is v1.5.0 is "better" than v1.4.9 and would be less prone to lock ups for many reason.
Also when you run older versions of firmware they do not have security upgrades and are prone to be hacked.

You going to have to find something for me to work with and we will be all over it.

dheberlee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:55 pm

We purchased 2 - WS-26-500-DC switches about 3 weeks ago. deployed 1 of them 2 weeks ago and are getting random reboots. running version 1.5.1. Both of them are labeled with mfg date: 3/3/18. I just opened the spare and it does NOT have the zip ties shown in this thread. Switch is connected to a 48v battery bank. battery bank is being charged with a minnkota MK460PC 4 bank charger.

within the 1st 36 hours of deployment, it had rebooted 4-5 times, then didn't for about 10 days and then started rebooting 1-2 times / day this weekend. I have been watching it this morning and haven't seen the error on the status page under cpu temp yet.

I added a screenshot of the status page.

Any ideas?

Thank you
Attachments
scc-sw-2-19-19.PNG
status page

sirhc
Employee
Employee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:09 pm

OK so you are saying the following (Please confirm):
The switch is connected directly to battery bank hopefully with an inline fuse or better yet a breaker.
Your then have the charger connected the battery bank separately.

Of course the unit has the cabling correct as that issue was nearly a year ago with the ties and we changed all of them at that time that we could. All in our warehouse and even pulled back inventory from Distributors and changed them. But in the end it was more the power supply firmware than the cabling as there are many units out there with the cable tied still operating normally with the firmware upgrade. That unit was MFG on 3/2018 which is indicated in the box label so WAY after the cable issue.

As far as "occasionally" seeing an ERROR on the power supply telemetry shown on the Device/Status page is OK, it happens "occasionally", it simply means the data was corrupted or lost on that update cycle which happens every second. If it happens frequently that could be a problem.

Please explain your electrical service and grounding:
Is it an older existing electrical service you tapped off of and if so explain who the service belongs too.
How far is the service ground rods from the tower ground rods?
Are the ground rods from your electrical service BONDED to the tower ground rods and if so please explain how they are bonded.

Also could you please post up screen grabs of your Status, Ports, and Power TABs.

dheberlee

Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:22 pm

scc-sw-ports-2-19-19.PNG
It is connected to the battery bank with an inline fuse.
the charger has each bank charging each individual battery
I will have to reply back about the electrical when I speak to my tower crew.
Attachments
scc-sw-power-2-19-19.PNG

PreviousNext
Return to General Discussion